-   -   numbering folders (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/157861-numbering-folders.html)

Steve G

numbering folders

This is not the perfect forum for the question below but I am sure the
Excel experts have at least thought of this issue.

I would like to number sub-folders in a directory (each sub-folder
might contain Excel, Word, PDF, or text files or any combination
thereof) such that the folders are in numerical order, and not be
date.

For instance:

1--Comments from Joe Smith
2--Comments from the Public Affairs Directorate
3--Spreadsheets of Steve G
4--
5--
6--
7--
8--
9--
10--

Unfortumately the folder beginning with 10-- appears after the folder
"1--Comments..." when I sort on the folder name. I would like the
folder beginning with "10--" to come after the folder beginner with
"9--". I would like a folder beginning with "11--" coming after the
folder "10--".

If anyone has a solution with or without VBA I would be most grateful.

Steve G

Ron Coderre

numbering folders

This may be too simple....but, can you use 2-digit prefixes?
01--Comments from Joe Smith
02--Comments from the Public Affairs Directorate
03--Spreadsheets of Steve G
etc

Those will sort in the proper order.

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"Steve G" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Pete_UK

numbering folders

If you are likely to have less than 99 sub-folders, then you should
number them 01--, 02--, 03-- etc for the first nine then 10--, 11--,
12-- etc. If you have more than 99 then you should number them 001--,
002--, 003-- .... 010--, 011--, 012-- etc.

Alternatively, you could start them with a--, b--, c-- etc.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Sep 11, 4:11 pm, Steve G
wrote:
[...]

Thank you Pete_UK and Mr. Ron Coderre. Your solution was simple. I
will start my folders with 01, 02, 03, etc. I will never have more
than 99 folders. And if I by chance I do, then I will renumber 01--
to 001--, 02-- to 002--, etc.

The solution was obvious to you both and I feel foolish for asking.
But I am very grateful because this will make things work for me.
Thank you again.

Steve G

Pete_UK

numbering folders

You're welcome - a fresh pair of eyes, as they say ...

Pete