-   -   VLOOKUP LEFT VS RIGHT (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/157390-vlookup-left-vs-right.html)

Jerry[_2_]

VLOOKUP LEFT VS RIGHT

Can I compose a VLOOKUP formula that looks left instead of right. I have
data in C10 and want to go left 4 cells and get that data. Can this be
done. I don't think so but I'm no expert in VLOOKUP.

T. Valko

VLOOKUP LEFT VS RIGHT

VLOOKUP works from left to right.

I have data in C10 and want to go left 4 cells and get that data

4 cells left of C10? There aren't 4 columns to the left of column C.

You can use something like this:

=INDEX(range,MATCH(lookup_value,lookup_array,0))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Jerry" wrote in message
30...
Can I compose a VLOOKUP formula that looks left instead of right. I have
data in C10 and want to go left 4 cells and get that data. Can this be
done. I don't think so but I'm no expert in VLOOKUP.

Alan Beban[_2_]

VLOOKUP LEFT VS RIGHT

If the functions in the freely downloadable file at
http://home.pacbell.net/beban are available to your workbook, you might
want to consider the VLookupLeft function.

Alan Beban