-   -   COUNT function... I think! (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/157321-count-function-i-think.html)

Rebekah

COUNT function... I think!

I have two colomns of data, I need to operate the count function only if the
data in both colomns, within the same row are true i.e

I need to count the how many times the trade "car" happens to be a priority
"2".

Trade Priority
CAR 2
BRI 2
ROO 2a
ELE 2a
PLU 3
CAR 2

I have tried to use =COUNTIF, =COUNT(IF

Is this possible and what is the correct formula/function to use?

T. Valko

COUNT function... I think!

Try this:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A10="car"),--(B1:B10=2))

Better to use cells to hold the criteria:

D1 = car
E1 = 2

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A10=D1),--(B1:B10=E1))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Rebekah" wrote in message
I have two colomns of data, I need to operate the count function only if
the
data in both colomns, within the same row are true i.e

I need to count the how many times the trade "car" happens to be a
priority
"2".

Trade Priority
CAR 2
BRI 2
ROO 2a
ELE 2a
PLU 3
CAR 2

I have tried to use =COUNTIF, =COUNT(IF

Is this possible and what is the correct formula/function to use?

David Biddulph[_2_]

COUNT function... I think!

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A7="Car"),--(B2:B7=2))
If the priority is text, rather than a number, then you'd need quotes, so
=SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A7="Car"),--(B2:B7="2"))
--
David Biddulph