-   -   syntax for "IF" commend to check for multiple empty cells bf comma (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/156781-syntax-if-commend-check-multiple-empty-cells-bf-comma.html)

Chris

syntax for "IF" commend to check for multiple empty cells bf comma

Hi all.
I have been trying (unsuccessfully, so far) to figure out how to write
syntax to check for missing data in two cells before executing a function.
For example, I know that I can write:

=IF(D90, D9-C8)

to check to make sure there is a valid case in cell "D9" before executing
the function, but the problem is if I have no data entered in cell "C8", it
will of course simply assume that cell contains a value of "0" and run the
function anyway. I want to write something like "If D90 AND C80, THEN
D9-C8"...

Anyone have any pointers???

Thanks in advance for your help!
- Chris

Max

syntax for "IF" commend to check for multiple empty cells bf comma

One way: =IF(AND(D90,C80),D9-C8,"")
--
Max
Singapore
"Chris" wrote:
Hi all.
I have been trying (unsuccessfully, so far) to figure out how to write
syntax to check for missing data in two cells before executing a function.
For example, I know that I can write:

=IF(D90, D9-C8)

to check to make sure there is a valid case in cell "D9" before executing
the function, but the problem is if I have no data entered in cell "C8", it
will of course simply assume that cell contains a value of "0" and run the
function anyway. I want to write something like "If D90 AND C80, THEN
D9-C8"...

Anyone have any pointers???

Thanks in advance for your help!
- Chris

Arvi Laanemets

syntax for "IF" commend to check for multiple empty cells bf comma

Hi

=IF(AND(D90,C8<""),D9-C8,"")

--
Arvi Laanemets
( My real mail address: arvi.laanemets<attarkon.ee )

"Chris" wrote in message
Hi all.
I have been trying (unsuccessfully, so far) to figure out how to write
syntax to check for missing data in two cells before executing a function.
For example, I know that I can write:

=IF(D90, D9-C8)

to check to make sure there is a valid case in cell "D9" before executing
the function, but the problem is if I have no data entered in cell "C8",
it
will of course simply assume that cell contains a value of "0" and run the
function anyway. I want to write something like "If D90 AND C80, THEN
D9-C8"...

Anyone have any pointers???

Thanks in advance for your help!
- Chris

Chris

syntax for "IF" commend to check for multiple empty cells bf comma

Wow!
That was fast!

Thanks to you both!

Roger Govier[_3_]

syntax for "IF" commend to check for multiple empty cells bf comma

Hi Chris

Another option
=IF(COUNT(D9,C8)=2,D9-C8,"")

Note that a value of 0 in either cell will return true, and the calculation
will be made, but an empty cell will return false and the result will be
null.
--
Regards
Roger Govier