-   -   How to index teammembers within in a pool? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/155873-how-index-teammembers-within-pool.html)

Arnie[_2_]

How to index teammembers within in a pool?

Hi,

Here's what i'm trying to do:
I have abouth 50 players manualy divided over several teams. Each team has
1-4 players. I want to give each player a unique identifier within the
teams. So player John in team 5 which consist 4 teammembers has id 5_1, Pete
in the same team has id 5_2

I tried it with index, but the formula gives the value not te index of the
selection.

Any ideas?

RagDyeR

How to index teammembers within in a pool?

Don't follow what you're trying to accomplish.

Can't you make a simple datalist?
Names in Column A, ID number in adjacent row in Column B.

RD

"Arnie" wrote in message
bel.net...
Hi,

Here's what i'm trying to do:
I have abouth 50 players manualy divided over several teams. Each team has
1-4 players. I want to give each player a unique identifier within the
teams. So player John in team 5 which consist 4 teammembers has id 5_1,

Pete
in the same team has id 5_2

I tried it with index, but the formula gives the value not te index of the
selection.

Any ideas?

Arnie[_2_]

How to index teammembers within in a pool?

Sorry,

Sure I can:

PlayerID Pool Name
1 1 John
2 1 Pete
3 2 Jill
4 2 Fred
5 2 Ginger
6 3 Tony
etc.

The result should be something like this:
PlayerID Pool Name Id
1 1 John 1_1
2 1 Pete 1_2
3 2 Jill 2_1
4 2 Fred 2_2
5 2 Ginger 2_3
6 3 Tony 3_1
etc.

(to make more clear what I'm trying to accomplish: I have a form that I want
to print with 2 golfscorecards on it. If the are 2 players in a pool/flight
then player 1_1 has marker 1_2, but if there are 3 players in a flight
player 2_1 has marker 2_2, player 2_2 has marker 2_3 and player 2_3 has
marker 2_1, etc. I want to sort out all the players and create a dataset
that is usefull to print the scorecards. Since the pools/flights are
variable it is difficult to find a way to print the scorecards.

Arnie

"Ragdyer" schreef in bericht

"Arnie" wrote in message
bel.net...
Hi,

Here's what i'm trying to do:
I have abouth 50 players manualy divided over several teams. Each team
has
1-4 players. I want to give each player a unique identifier within the
teams. So player John in team 5 which consist 4 teammembers has id 5_1,

Pete
in the same team has id 5_2

I tried it with index, but the formula gives the value not te index of
the
selection.

Any ideas?

RagDyeR

How to index teammembers within in a pool?

Maybe it's because I don't play golf, but ... I don't have the slightest
idea what you're talking about.

RD

el.net...

"Arnie" wrote in message
bel.net...
Hi,

Here's what i'm trying to do:
I have abouth 50 players manualy divided over several teams. Each team
has
1-4 players. I want to give each player a unique identifier within the
teams. So player John in team 5 which consist 4 teammembers has id 5_1,

Pete
in the same team has id 5_2

I tried it with index, but the formula gives the value not te index of
the
selection.

Any ideas?

T. Valko

How to index teammembers within in a pool?

Try this:

Pool numbers in the range B2:B7.

=B2&"_"&COUNTIF(B$2:B2,B2)

Copy down as needed.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Arnie" wrote in message
bel.net...
Hi,

Here's what i'm trying to do:
I have abouth 50 players manualy divided over several teams. Each team
has
1-4 players. I want to give each player a unique identifier within the
teams. So player John in team 5 which consist 4 teammembers has id 5_1,

Pete
in the same team has id 5_2

I tried it with index, but the formula gives the value not te index of
the
selection.

Any ideas?

Arnie[_2_]

How to index teammembers within in a pool?

Biff,

You're a genious! I didn't think it would be that easy.

RagDyer: maybe you should try it one day, it's a fun sport (and addictive)

Arnie
"T. Valko" schreef in bericht

"Arnie" wrote in message
[...]

Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit
!
"Arnie" wrote in message
bel.net...
Hi,

Here's what i'm trying to do:
I have abouth 50 players manualy divided over several teams. Each team
has
1-4 players. I want to give each player a unique identifier within the
teams. So player John in team 5 which consist 4 teammembers has id 5_1,
Pete
in the same team has id 5_2

I tried it with index, but the formula gives the value not te index of
the
selection.

Any ideas?

T. Valko

How to index teammembers within in a pool?

You're a genious!

Yeah, I know a thing or two about GOLF! Almost a scratch player!

Thanks for the feedback!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP