-   -   Pivot Table lookup (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/155864-pivot-table-lookup.html)

Noncentz303

Pivot Table lookup

Ok here is my issue :)

I am working with many records and need a way to match a vendor name with a
part number, my table looks a such

A B
Part Number Vendor name
AH00000E
AH99999E
AI00000F
AI05500E

So what Im looking to do is take the First two letters of the part number
and assign a vendor using a pivot table we created on a sheet called
"VendorNames" to go in the "B" column

Any help would be geat :)

Debra Dalgleish

Pivot Table lookup

You could use a formula similar to the following, to extract vendor
names from a pivot table on a sheet named Pivot:

=INDEX(Pivot!$B$8:$B$50,MATCH(LEFT(A2,2)&"*",Pivot !$B$8:$B$50,0))

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

hairball

Pivot Table lookup

A vlookup should work if the the first two letters of the part number is what
reference back to a vendor. If you need to, create a new column and use the
left formula 2 to fill in the column and then create a lookup table for the
vendors based upon the 2 letters.