-   -   Find Nonblank Cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/155173-find-nonblank-cell.html)

Mike

Find Nonblank Cell

Is there a function that will find the first non blank cell in an array, like
returning cell address, or position in the array?

Teethless mama

Find Nonblank Cell

="A"&MATCH(TRUE,A1:A10<"",0)

ctrl+shift+enter, not just enter

"Mike" wrote:

Is there a function that will find the first non blank cell in an array, like
returning cell address, or position in the array?

Bob Phillips

Find Nonblank Cell

=INDEX(B1:B10,MIN(IF(B1:B10<"",ROW(B1:B10))))

which is an array formula, it should be committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter, not
just Enter.
Excel will automatically enclose the formula in braces (curly brackets), do
not try to do this manually.
When editing the formula, it must again be array-entered.

--
HTH

Bob

"Mike" wrote in message
Is there a function that will find the first non blank cell in an array,
like
returning cell address, or position in the array?

Mike

Find Nonblank Cell

Well, the match part I just figured out. That just returns the position in
the array. I'll have to do some extra work to turn that into an address.

Thanks.

"Mike" wrote:

Is there a function that will find the first non blank cell in an array, like
returning cell address, or position in the array?

Peo Sjoblom

Find Nonblank Cell

Why do you want to find the address (btw look at the ADDRESS function)?
If you want the value just use INDEX and MATCH

Peo Sjoblom