-   -   sum using text and numbers as criteria (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/155090-sum-using-text-numbers-criteria.html)

sevi61

sum using text and numbers as criteria

I hope someone can assist with this......

I have a spreadsheet with column A containing words, and column b containing
numbers

A B C D
(TOTAL)
JOHN $123.00 GARY
GARY $456.00 PAUL
PAUL $789.00 JOHN
JOHN $345.00
GARY $567.00
PAUL $678.00

I need a formula for column D to add totals for each name. I have tried
SUMIF(A2:A7,"JOHN",B2:B7) but it doesn't add the amounts, only the first
instance of JOHN is displayed by the formula. I have tried various other
formulas found here in this discussion group but the SUMIF above is about the
closest I've come to any joy, all the others display an error message.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, this is really doing my head in!

Peo Sjoblom

sum using text and numbers as criteria

Maybe you have hidden characters, assume the distinct name list is in C2:C4,

in D2 put

=SUMIF($A$2:$A$7,C2,$B$2:$B$7)

copy down to D4

now if that only give you 123 for John try this

=SUMIF($A$2:$A$7,"*"&C2&"*",$B$2:$B$7)

and copy down

Peo Sjoblom

"sevi61" wrote in message
[...]

T. Valko

sum using text and numbers as criteria

only the first instance of JOHN is displayed by the formula

What exactly does that mean? Do you mean that this formula:

SUMIF(A2:A7,"JOHN",B2:B7)

Returns only 123 when it should return 468?

If you have the unique names listed in the range of cells C2:C4 then you
need to make some of your references absolute:

=SUMIF(A$2:A$7,C2,B$2:B$7)

The $ signs will keep the row references from changing when you copy the
formula.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"sevi61" wrote in message
[...]

thanks for all your help, this has helped me no end

"sevi61" wrote:

[...]

You're welcome. Thanks for thr feedback!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP