-   -   Timesheet (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/154607-re-timesheet.html)

Max

Timesheet

If the data is structured columnwise like this ..

Assuming names in A2 down, hours in B2 down
Then in C2: =SUMIF(A:A,A2,B:B)
Copy C2 down

You could also try a pivot table (PT). It's easy n fast to set up, needs
only a few clicks & drags n drops. And you get both the unique listing of
names and the sum of corresponding hours in a matter of seconds.

Here's how ..
Assuming col headers in A1:B1 a Name, Hour, with data running in row2
down.
Select a cell within the table. Click Data PivotTable .. . Click Next
Next. In step 3 of the wizard, click Layout. Drag n drop Name within the ROW
area, drag n drop Hour within the DATA area. Click OK Finish. Incredible,
but that's it! Hop over to the PT sheet for the results.
--
Max
Singapore
"rachellock" wrote:
Hi...

I have a timesheet for employees working on various projects at the same
time. Is there a function within excel where it can search for an employee
name and calculate the total number of hours they have worked even if they
are listed 3 times at different points in the spreadsheet. They are likely to
move around the spreadsheet quite a lot therefore I can't just use a simple
SUM formula.

ANy help would be great cheers !!!