-   -   Language (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/153855-language.html)

sharutmey

Language

My computer only recognized the symbol (,) as a decimal point. Thus in a
formula I have to type: 1,6 for the number l.6 . This is how a decimal
point is represented in Spanish, but the English (United States) is selected
and is the Default. Is there anywhere else the Spanish can be leaking over?

Mike H

Language

Hi,

By default Excel uses the Windows settings for this so change those to what
you want using Control Panel|Regional & Language settings or you can override
them by going to

tools|Options|international and un-checking use system seperators and then
entering the seperators you want.

Mike

"sharutmey" wrote:

My computer only recognized the symbol (,) as a decimal point. Thus in a
formula I have to type: 1,6 for the number l.6 . This is how a decimal
point is represented in Spanish, but the English (United States) is selected
and is the Default. Is there anywhere else the Spanish can be leaking over?

FC

Language

Hi sharutmey, just a correction for you and all readers : the decimal point
in spanish is the same as in english ( . ) Thanks

"sharutmey" wrote:

My computer only recognized the symbol (,) as a decimal point. Thus in a
formula I have to type: 1,6 for the number l.6 . This is how a decimal
point is represented in Spanish, but the English (United States) is selected
and is the Default. Is there anywhere else the Spanish can be leaking over?

JE McGimpsey

Language

Hi FC, a further correction for you: use of "." or "," as a decimal
separator depends more on the country, not the language.

Many, if not most Spanish-speaking countries use "," (including Spain).

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_point

In article ,
FC wrote:

Hi sharutmey, just a correction for you and all readers : the decimal point
in spanish is the same as in english ( . ) Thanks

FC

Language

Yes ! exactly what I meant to mean ( is this correct english ?). Thank you
for clear it better JE McGimpsey.