-   -   Advanced Sorting/Result (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/15099-advanced-sorting-result.html)

cecman

Advanced Sorting/Result

I am wanting to find the top 5 performers from a certain range/column and
then assign a point value to each position (ex. 1st place = 6 pts, 2nd = 4,
3rd=3, 4th=2, 5th=1). After we have found their positions, i want to
refernce the team number in another column to add up total points for a team
on a completely different worksheet.

EX. Sheet 1

A B C D
Team # Lifter Amount Rank/Pts

1 J.smith 500 5
2 L.Jackson 600 4
5 J.Doe 700 3
4 B.Black 1000 1
5 T.james 900 2

There can be a single team win more than 1 place in the top 5 which means
they will get points for both places (see above team #5 would get 3 pts and 4
pts). Now, there is going to be a total of 33 times that I will need to do
the above. So, i will need the formula from the team total sheet to add up
all of the pts earned during each contest for each team that is earning
points.

This is for a weightlifting meet. There is 11 different weight classes and
3 lifts to be done in each class. This means that there will be 33 times
that the point values of 6,4,3,2 and 1 will be assigned to teams. I want to
be able to accumulate their points.

Hopefully i have explained well enough. If not, let me knoe. Thanks for
help in advance.

Chad