-   -   Formula Disappears, converts to a value (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/149522-formula-disappears-converts-value.html)

[email protected]

Formula Disappears, converts to a value

I have used Excel for over 10 years and have never encountered this
before.

When I type in a very simple formula, "+28933/6" the formula converts
to a value and will not hold the formula. In the same cell, if I use
a "=" sign instead of the plus sign, it will stay a formula. I prefer
using a plus sign because it's easier to quickly type.

The cell above and below will accept the + sign and will hold the
formula in tact. Why?

Strange too is if I type in "+36000/6" in this same cell, the formula
stays in tact (converting the plus to an equals sign) but if I type in
"+24000/6" it converts to a value.

Any ideas?

Peo Sjoblom

Formula Disappears, converts to a value

Maybe you always had transition formula entry checked, it is not Excel
defaults we are talking about. It's more of a leftover from when Lotus 123
was the major spreadsheet and MS catered to this. Go to
toolsoptionstransition and check transition formula entry and it will be
converted to a formula

Default Excel behavior is to use the equal sign

Peo Sjoblom

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have used Excel for over 10 years and have never encountered this
before.

When I type in a very simple formula, "+28933/6" the formula converts
to a value and will not hold the formula. In the same cell, if I use
a "=" sign instead of the plus sign, it will stay a formula. I prefer
using a plus sign because it's easier to quickly type.

The cell above and below will accept the + sign and will hold the
formula in tact. Why?

Strange too is if I type in "+36000/6" in this same cell, the formula
stays in tact (converting the plus to an equals sign) but if I type in
"+24000/6" it converts to a value.

Any ideas?

Wigi

Formula Disappears, converts to a value

Have a read on Dick's site:

http://www.dailydoseofexcel.com/arch...art-a-formula/

--
Wigi
http://www.wimgielis.be = Excel/VBA, soccer and music

On Jul 9, 3:14 pm, "Peo Sjoblom" wrote:
Maybe you always had transition formula entry checked, it is not Excel
defaults we are talking about. It's more of a leftover from when Lotus 123
was the major spreadsheet and MS catered to this. Go to
toolsoptionstransition and check transition formula entry and it will be
converted to a formula

Peo Sjoblom

wrote in message

ups.com...

I have used Excel for over 10 years and have never encountered this
before.

When I type in a very simple formula, "+28933/6" the formula converts
to a value and will not hold the formula. In the same cell, if I use
a "=" sign instead of the plus sign, it will stay a formula. I prefer
using a plus sign because it's easier to quickly type.

The cell above and below will accept the + sign and will hold the
formula in tact. Why?

Strange too is if I type in "+36000/6" in this same cell, the formula
stays in tact (converting the plus to an equals sign) but if I type in
"+24000/6" it converts to a value.

Any ideas?- Hide quoted text -

It was the transitions formula checkbox. That worked! Thank you.