-   -   Create a credit (negative) column in Excel? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/149131-create-credit-negative-column-excel.html)

AvonSue

Create a credit (negative) column in Excel?

I am creating a spreadsheet with debit and credit columns. How do I format
the Credit column so all entries automatically post as a credit?

Gord Dibben

Create a credit (negative) column in Excel?

Credits are generally positive values.

Don't enter numbers with a negative value in the credit column.

Enter those in your debit column.

Or am I missing some detail?

If you wanted negative values to show as positive, in a helper column enter

=ABS(cellref)

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 13:42:03 -0700, AvonSue
wrote:

I am creating a spreadsheet with debit and credit columns. How do I format
the Credit column so all entries automatically post as a credit?

AvonSue

Create a credit (negative) column in Excel?

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for your speedy response! You have answered my question.
FYI - in accounting, Assets and Expenses are Debit Accounts and Liabilities
and Equity are Credit Accounts. This is necessary in order for your Trial
Balance to zero-out so you can do financial statements and income statements.

wrote:

I am creating a spreadsheet with debit and credit columns. How do I format
the Credit column so all entries automatically post as a credit?

Stan Brown

Create a credit (negative) column in Excel?

Thu, 05 Jul 2007 14:17:39 -0700 from <Gord Dibben
<gorddibbATshawDOTca:

Credits are generally positive values.

Don't enter numbers with a negative value in the credit column.

Enter those in your debit column.

Or am I missing some detail?

Credits *and* debits are generally positive. In proper accounting
books (using the double-entry method, which it sounds like the OP
does), total credits must equal total debits.

The OP should have positive credits and positive debits, and strike a
balance by sum(debits) - sum(credits) for an asset or expense
account, sum(credits) - sum(debits) for a liability or equity or
revenue account.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Gord Dibben

Create a credit (negative) column in Excel?

Shows how little I know about bookkeeping<g

My rudimentary style is a column of "ins" and a column of "outs" with the
difference being what I still have in my pocket or owe to my creditors.

Gord

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 19:23:12 -0400, Stan Brown
wrote:

Thu, 05 Jul 2007 14:17:39 -0700 from <Gord Dibben
<gorddibbATshawDOTca:

Credits are generally positive values.

Don't enter numbers with a negative value in the credit column.

Enter those in your debit column.

Or am I missing some detail?

Credits *and* debits are generally positive. In proper accounting
books (using the double-entry method, which it sounds like the OP
does), total credits must equal total debits.

The OP should have positive credits and positive debits, and strike a
balance by sum(debits) - sum(credits) for an asset or expense
account, sum(credits) - sum(debits) for a liability or equity or
revenue account.

Jen Moskaluk

Create a credit (negative) column in Excel?

I need to convert my spreadsheet credit column. The numbers now show as red and I need them to show as a negative number instead.

On Thursday, July 05, 2007 8:24 PM Gord Dibben wrote:

Shows how little I know about bookkeeping<g

My rudimentary style is a column of "ins" and a column of "outs" with the
difference being what I still have in my pocket or owe to my creditors.

Gord

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 19:23:12 -0400, Stan Brown
wrote:

Gord Dibben[_2_]

Create a credit (negative) column in Excel?

Assuming the numbers are red because they are negative..........

You don't need to convert the numbers.

Simply re-format with minus sign rather than red.

FormatCellsNumberNumber........you choose from the selection.

2007 would be FormatFormat CellsNumberNumber

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP