-   -   Keep Same Cell Reference (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/149122-keep-same-cell-reference.html)

Susan

Keep Same Cell Reference

If you are referencing a cell in a formula and you want it to remain the same
when you copy and paste the formula into another cell, how do you enter it?

Susan

Mike H

Keep Same Cell Reference

Susan,

use the dollar sign =$a$1

Mike

"Susan" wrote:

If you are referencing a cell in a formula and you want it to remain the same
when you copy and paste the formula into another cell, how do you enter it?

Susan

Gord Dibben

Keep Same Cell Reference

$A$1

See help for more on relative and absolute references.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

\On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 11:00:02 -0700, Susan
wrote:

If you are referencing a cell in a formula and you want it to remain the same
when you copy and paste the formula into another cell, how do you enter it?

Susan

Larry

Keep Same Cell Reference

This was never a problem in Excel 2003. I am trying to copy and paste a row
in new rows I have inserted. I have tried relative references, but then the
formula in the cell I copied remain the same. The self help section for this
says that if a formula is copied and pasted the relationship will not change,
but it does.
Here is my formula: =SUM((B138-B137)/G138)
I used this to automatically figure my gas mileage and ran out of rows, so I
need to insert rows with the same formulas across the row. When I copy the
row, the formula changes to this for the copied cell =SUM((B138-B136)/G138).
None of this ever happened with Excel 2003. I could create new rows, copy and
paste the formulas and the reference would remain the same.

wrote:

If you are referencing a cell in a formula and you want it to remain the same
when you copy and paste the formula into another cell, how do you enter it?

Susan

Tyro[_2_]

Keep Same Cell Reference

You were using Excel 2003. What version are you using now? If it's Excel
2007, it works the same as Excel 2003 in regards to addresses.

Tyro

wrote:

If you are referencing a cell in a formula and you want it to remain the
same
when you copy and paste the formula into another cell, how do you enter
it?

Susan

Cimjet[_2_]

Keep Same Cell Reference

Hi Larry
Try this: =SUM(($B$138-$B$136)-$G$138)
HTH
Cimjet

wrote:

If you are referencing a cell in a formula and you want it to remain the
same
when you copy and paste the formula into another cell, how do you enter
it?

Susan

Larry

Keep Same Cell Reference

I have to use the paste formula function and that appears to work. Can't do
just paste. I am serious. I did Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V in 2003 and everything was
good. Using 2007 now.

"Cimjet" wrote:

Hi Larry
Try this: =SUM(($B$138-$B$136)-$G$138)