-   -   creating numbers to a fixed length string... (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/148898-creating-numbers-fixed-length-string.html)

DS

creating numbers to a fixed length string...

Hi!

I have a column of numbers that have varied length some have 2 digits, some
have 3 and some 4 and some 6. I need to add a sting 0's to bring the length
of the string of all all the numbers to 6.

I am an excel newbie so any help would be great!

Mike H

creating numbers to a fixed length string...

hi,

Select your cells then

Format:Cells|Custom

add a custom format of 000000

Mike

"ds" wrote:

Hi!

I have a column of numbers that have varied length some have 2 digits, some
have 3 and some 4 and some 6. I need to add a sting 0's to bring the length
of the string of all all the numbers to 6.

I am an excel newbie so any help would be great!

Gord Dibben

creating numbers to a fixed length string...

Custom format to 000000

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 10:40:03 -0700, ds wrote:

Hi!

I have a column of numbers that have varied length some have 2 digits, some
have 3 and some 4 and some 6. I need to add a sting 0's to bring the length
of the string of all all the numbers to 6.

I am an excel newbie so any help would be great!

DS

creating numbers to a fixed length string...

Thanks Gord. Appreciate the confirmation of this technique.

DS

creating numbers to a fixed length string...

Thanks Mike - worked like a charm.

Very much appreciated!