Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default SUMPRODUCT formula messed up

When I use SUMPRODUCT formula, especially to look up data from
different workbooks and return to a different workbook, I tend to
have
problem later on when I work on it or save it to a different file.
All
my other formulas e.g IF, VLOOK never been messed up when I work on
the file or save it to a different file.

Is there anyway I could protect this SUMPRODUCT formula or any reason
why it get messed up so easily?
Thanks

Positive

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

SUMPRODUCT is no different than any other functions in this regard,
you might want to give us an example where VLOOKUP using same references as
SUMPRODUCT acted any differently

Peo Sjoblom

"Positive" wrote in message
oups.com...
When I use SUMPRODUCT formula, especially to look up data from
different workbooks and return to a different workbook, I tend to
have
problem later on when I work on it or save it to a different file.
All
my other formulas e.g IF, VLOOK never been messed up when I work on
the file or save it to a different file.

Is there anyway I could protect this SUMPRODUCT formula or any reason
why it get messed up so easily?
Thanks

Positive

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Jul 2, 2:47 pm, "Peo Sjoblom" wrote:
SUMPRODUCT is no different than any other functions in this regard,
you might want to give us an example where VLOOKUP using same references as
SUMPRODUCT acted any differently

Peo Sjoblom

"Positive" wrote in message

oups.com...

When I use SUMPRODUCT formula, especially to look up data from
different workbooks and return to a different workbook, I tend to
have
problem later on when I work on it or save it to a different file.
All
my other formulas e.g IF, VLOOK never been messed up when I work on
the file or save it to a different file.

Is there anyway I could protect this SUMPRODUCT formula or any reason
why it get messed up so easily?
Thanks

Positive- Hide quoted text -

For example, I have a spreadsheet, when i insert a row, then all my
SUMPRUCT formulas get messed up

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That is no different from any other formulas except if you use INDIRECT in a
special way
VLOOKUP behaves the same as SUMPRODUCT in this regard

Peo Sjoblom
'

"Positive" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Jul 2, 2:47 pm, "Peo Sjoblom" wrote:
SUMPRODUCT is no different than any other functions in this regard,
you might want to give us an example where VLOOKUP using same references
as
SUMPRODUCT acted any differently

Peo Sjoblom

"Positive" wrote in message

oups.com...

When I use SUMPRODUCT formula, especially to look up data from
different workbooks and return to a different workbook, I tend to
have
problem later on when I work on it or save it to a different file.
All
my other formulas e.g IF, VLOOK never been messed up when I work on
the file or save it to a different file.

Is there anyway I could protect this SUMPRODUCT formula or any reason
why it get messed up so easily?
Thanks

Positive- Hide quoted text -

For example, I have a spreadsheet, when i insert a row, then all my
SUMPRUCT formulas get messed up

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Jul 12, 2:54 pm, "Peo Sjoblom" wrote:
That is no different from any otherformulasexcept if you use INDIRECT in a
special way
VLOOKUP behaves the same as SUMPRODUCT in this regard

Peo Sjoblom
'

"Positive" wrote in message

ps.com...

On Jul 2, 2:47 pm, "Peo Sjoblom" wrote:
SUMPRODUCT is no different than any other functions in this regard,
you might want to give us an example where VLOOKUP using same references
as
SUMPRODUCT acted any differently

Peo Sjoblom

"Positive" wrote in message

groups.com...

When I use SUMPRODUCT formula, especially to look up data from
different workbooks and return to a different workbook, I tend to
have
problem later on when I work on it or save it to a different file.
All
my otherformulase.g IF, VLOOK never been messed up when I work on
the file or save it to a different file.

Is there anyway I couldprotectthis SUMPRODUCT formula or any reason
why it get messed up so easily?
Thanks

Positive- Hide quoted text -

For example, I have a spreadsheet, when i insert a row, then all my
SUMPRUCTformulasget messed up- Hide quoted text -

Peo,
Ok. How about when I insert a row, then all my VLOOKUP and SUMPRODUCT
formulas get messed up? Is there a way to protect my formulas from
being messed up when I edit or add, delete rows? Some messages in the
GROUPs recommend MACRO but I have never use MACRO and don't really
know how to start. Thanks a lot for your prompt response.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you always want to use the same range in your formulas so if you have

=SUMPRODUCT(--($A$2:$A$100=1))

and if you insert a row at the top you don't want it to change to
$A$3:$A$101?

=SUMPRODUCT(--(INDIRECT("$A$2:$A$100")=1))

now there is a drawback to this since INDIRECT is a volatile function

Peo Sjoblom

"Positive" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 12, 2:54 pm, "Peo Sjoblom" wrote:
That is no different from any otherformulasexcept if you use INDIRECT in
special way
VLOOKUP behaves the same as SUMPRODUCT in this regard

Peo Sjoblom
'

"Positive" wrote in message

ps.com...

On Jul 2, 2:47 pm, "Peo Sjoblom" wrote:
SUMPRODUCT is no different than any other functions in this regard,
you might want to give us an example where VLOOKUP using same
references
as
SUMPRODUCT acted any differently

Peo Sjoblom

"Positive" wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Jul 12, 4:14 pm, "Peo Sjoblom" wrote:
If you always want to use the same range in your formulas so if you have

=SUMPRODUCT(--($A$2:$A$100=1))

and if you insert a row at the top you don't want it to change to
$A$3:$A$101?

=SUMPRODUCT(--(INDIRECT("$A$2:$A$100")=1))

now there is a drawback to this since INDIRECT is a volatile function

Peo Sjoblom

"Positive" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Jul 12, 2:54 pm, "Peo Sjoblom" wrote:
That is no different from any otherformulasexcept if you use INDIRECT in
special way
VLOOKUP behaves the same as SUMPRODUCT in this regard

Peo Sjoblom
'

oups.com...