-   -   How do I use an If= statement with an apostrophe (IF(s4="jack's",. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/148470-how-do-i-use-if%3D-statement-apostrophe-if-s4%3D-jacks.html)

Denver Tiffany

How do I use an If= statement with an apostrophe (IF(s4="jack's",.

I need to set a new cell's value to a numeric digit by saying :
If(s4="Jack's", 1, ""). But it won't work b/c of the apostrophe inside of
"Jack's".

Is there a way around this without altering the data?

Vasant Nanavati

How do I use an If= statement with an apostrophe (IF(s4="jack's",.

It works for me.

"Denver Tiffany" <Denver wrote in message
I need to set a new cell's value to a numeric digit by saying :
If(s4="Jack's", 1, ""). But it won't work b/c of the apostrophe inside of
"Jack's".

Is there a way around this without altering the data?

Peter

How do I use an If= statement with an apostrophe (IF(s4="jack's",.

Make sure there are not extra spaces before or after Jack's. In Excel 2007,
I typed Jack's in one cell and added =IF(D4="Jack's",1,"") and I am getting a
1. If I add one empty space after 's I then get blank.
--
Peter

"Denver Tiffany" wrote:

I need to set a new cell's value to a numeric digit by saying :
If(s4="Jack's", 1, ""). But it won't work b/c of the apostrophe inside of
"Jack's".

Is there a way around this without altering the data?

Bernie Deitrick

How do I use an If= statement with an apostrophe (IF(s4="jack's",.

Tiffany,

=IF(S4="Jack's",1,"")

worked fine for me.

Try

=IF(TRIM(S4)="Jack's",1,"")

You may have extra spaces.... Otherwise, try retyping Jack's into cell S4

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Denver Tiffany" <Denver wrote in message
I need to set a new cell's value to a numeric digit by saying :
If(s4="Jack's", 1, ""). But it won't work b/c of the apostrophe inside of
"Jack's".

Is there a way around this without altering the data?

Elkar

How do I use an If= statement with an apostrophe (IF(s4="jack's",.

The apostrophe does not cause a problem in this formula. Since it is in
between the two double-quotes, it will be read as part of the text string.

Does your data in S4 include the quotes? If so, that is where the problem
lies. Try writing your formula like this instead:

=IF(S4="""Jack's""",1,"")

HTH,
Elkar

"Denver Tiffany" wrote:

I need to set a new cell's value to a numeric digit by saying :
If(s4="Jack's", 1, ""). But it won't work b/c of the apostrophe inside of
"Jack's".

Is there a way around this without altering the data?

Teethless mama

How do I use an If= statement with an apostrophe (IF(s4="jack's",.

The formulas below are much flexible. They will work with a word name Jack.
Example: "Jack ", " jack ", "Jack's", "Hello Jack", and so on....

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Jack",A1)),1,"")
or
=IF(COUNTIF(A1,"*Jack*"),1,"")