-   -   =B1/A1 (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/147008-%3Db1-a1.html)

yhtak

=B1/A1

I have a spreadsheet where column A has the number of miles and column B has
the total cost. I want to find the cost per mile.
In cell C1 I've put =B1/A1 and I've got the cost per mile.

Obviously I want to copy this down to get a result for B2/A2 etc but all I
get is the same answer as is in cell C1.

Why is this? Any ideas out there?

Max

=B1/A1

Sounds like calc mode is in manual.
Press F9, does it compute properly?

To check/change calc mode,
click Tools Options Calculation tab
Ensure Automatic is checked OK
--
Max
Singapore
"yhtak" wrote:
I have a spreadsheet where column A has the number of miles and column B has
the total cost. I want to find the cost per mile.
In cell C1 I've put =B1/A1 and I've got the cost per mile.

Obviously I want to copy this down to get a result for B2/A2 etc but all I
get is the same answer as is in cell C1.

Why is this? Any ideas out there?

Pete_UK

=B1/A1

You might have the calculation option set to manual - go to Tools |
Options | Calculation tab and ensure that Automatic is checked.

You might want to amend the formula slightly to:

=IF(A1=0,0,B1/A1)

to avoid getting #DIV/0? errors if you copy the formula too far.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jun 19, 10:15 am, yhtak wrote:
I have a spreadsheet where column A has the number of miles and column B has
the total cost. I want to find the cost per mile.
In cell C1 I've put =B1/A1 and I've got the cost per mile.

Obviously I want to copy this down to get a result for B2/A2 etc but all I
get is the same answer as is in cell C1.

Why is this? Any ideas out there?

yhtak

=B1/A1

Spot on, thank you so much.
yhtak

"yhtak" wrote:
I have a spreadsheet where column A has the number of miles and column B has
the total cost. I want to find the cost per mile.
In cell C1 I've put =B1/A1 and I've got the cost per mile.

Obviously I want to copy this down to get a result for B2/A2 etc but all I
get is the same answer as is in cell C1.

Why is this? Any ideas out there?

Max

=B1/A1

welcome ..