-   -   How can I shrink a file size w/ a pivot table and many formulas? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/146400-how-can-i-shrink-file-size-w-pivot-table-many-formulas.html)

ExcelSuperUser

How can I shrink a file size w/ a pivot table and many formulas?

Is there something that I can do to the front end of the file w/o using vb
code?

[email protected]

How can I shrink a file size w/ a pivot table and many formulas?

I'm not sure if it will help you, but it definitely helped me. I found
a program that shrinks Excel file sizes. The reasoning they gave was
that for some reason while creating a sheet, it redundantly saves
formulas and data that you previously deleted or something. Anyhow, I
went from a 10mb file to a 3mb file. Then i shrunk it again to see if
it would shrink again. It went to 600k. I couldn't shrink it anymore
then that. I don't quite remember the name of the program, but if you
google "Excel file shrink" or something like that, you're bound to
find it or something similar.

Is there something that I can do to the front end of the file w/o using vb
code?

Dana DeLouis

How can I shrink a file size w/ a pivot table and many formulas?

One option in versions prior to 2007 is to select your pivot table and look
at the options. I can't remember the exact name, but uncheck the default
option to save the data with the Pivot table. The idea being that you don't
want to keep a large amoutn of duplicate data. However, select "refresh on
open."
I can't find that exact option in Excel 2007. I believe you unselect the
option "save source data with file." I have a hard time with Pivot tables
now. My productivity has gone down the toilet since using Excel 2007.

--
Dana DeLouis
Windows XP & Excel 2007

"ExcelSuperUser" wrote in message
Is there something that I can do to the front end of the file w/o using vb
code?

Roger Govier

How can I shrink a file size w/ a pivot table and many formulas?

Hi Dana

Click on a cell in the PT.
Above the ribbon, will appear a tab Pivot Table ToolsOptionsfar left
groupPivot Table optionsData

I find PT's in XL2007 to be far easier and quicker to use, as well as
more powerful.
--
Regards

Roger Govier