-   -   Lookup formula?? or other (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/144372-lookup-formula-other.html)

Klee

Lookup formula?? or other

Hi there, I'm trying to find a way to have a cell return a number from one
column if another cell has text from another column. eg;

I need the formula for cell A7 so

If cell B7 = anything cell between J1:J32 then I need A7 to = the same row
in column I (1:32)

so if B7= J14 "office supplies", A7 will = I14 "account #8005

Sorry if I haven't stated it very clearly. I was thinking it could be a
lookup formula but I can't figure it out. Thanks in advance for the help

Gary''s Student

Lookup formula?? or other

=INDIRECT("I" & MATCH(B7,J1:J32,1))
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200725

Klee

Lookup formula?? or other

Thanks Gary but it doesn't seem to work still. It gives me data from column I
but seems to give a random row rather than the cell directly to the left of
the cell in J

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

=INDIRECT("I" & MATCH(B7,J1:J32,1))
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200725

Dave Peterson

Lookup formula?? or other

=index(i1:i32,match(b7,j1:j32,0))

Is one way.

Klee wrote:

Hi there, I'm trying to find a way to have a cell return a number from one
column if another cell has text from another column. eg;

I need the formula for cell A7 so

If cell B7 = anything cell between J1:J32 then I need A7 to = the same row
in column I (1:32)

so if B7= J14 "office supplies", A7 will = I14 "account #8005

Sorry if I haven't stated it very clearly. I was thinking it could be a
lookup formula but I can't figure it out. Thanks in advance for the help

--

Dave Peterson

T. Valko

Lookup formula?? or other

Try this:

=INDEX(I1:I32,MATCH(B7,J1:J32,0))

Biff

"Klee" wrote in message
Hi there, I'm trying to find a way to have a cell return a number from one
column if another cell has text from another column. eg;

I need the formula for cell A7 so

If cell B7 = anything cell between J1:J32 then I need A7 to = the same row
in column I (1:32)

so if B7= J14 "office supplies", A7 will = I14 "account #8005

Sorry if I haven't stated it very clearly. I was thinking it could be a
lookup formula but I can't figure it out. Thanks in advance for the help

Klee

Lookup formula?? or other

Thanks but this one just gives me an error. Maybe I'm explaining it wrong.

my B column is a drop down list so it will always be a cell within J1 and J35
my A column needs to = column I with the same row as in B

eg: if b1=J5 then C1 has to = I5 and so on... Any thoughts?

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

=index(i1:i32,match(b7,j1:j32,0))

Is one way.

Klee wrote:

Hi there, I'm trying to find a way to have a cell return a number from one
column if another cell has text from another column. eg;

I need the formula for cell A7 so

If cell B7 = anything cell between J1:J32 then I need A7 to = the same row
in column I (1:32)

so if B7= J14 "office supplies", A7 will = I14 "account #8005

Sorry if I haven't stated it very clearly. I was thinking it could be a
lookup formula but I can't figure it out. Thanks in advance for the help

--

Dave Peterson

Klee

Lookup formula?? or other

This works perfectly, thanks very much.

"T. Valko" wrote:

Try this:

=INDEX(I1:I32,MATCH(B7,J1:J32,0))

Biff

"Klee" wrote in message
Hi there, I'm trying to find a way to have a cell return a number from one
column if another cell has text from another column. eg;

I need the formula for cell A7 so

If cell B7 = anything cell between J1:J32 then I need A7 to = the same row
in column I (1:32)

so if B7= J14 "office supplies", A7 will = I14 "account #8005

Sorry if I haven't stated it very clearly. I was thinking it could be a
lookup formula but I can't figure it out. Thanks in advance for the help

Dave Peterson

Lookup formula?? or other

You sure?

Klee wrote:

Thanks but this one just gives me an error. Maybe I'm explaining it wrong.

my B column is a drop down list so it will always be a cell within J1 and J35
my A column needs to = column I with the same row as in B

eg: if b1=J5 then C1 has to = I5 and so on... Any thoughts?

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

=index(i1:i32,match(b7,j1:j32,0))

Is one way.