-   -   problem with vlookup (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/144121-problem-vlookup.html)

ruchie

problem with vlookup

I am matching two sheets of data to each other through vlookup, and
even though i know that there are matches, vlookup isnt returning
them . the data in both the sheets in the same workbook is of the same
format (text) and all leading and trailing spaces have been removed,
still i cant get it to work for me.
can someone help me out?

Don Guillett

problem with vlookup

You didn't post your formulas

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"ruchie" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am matching two sheets of data to each other through vlookup, and
even though i know that there are matches, vlookup isnt returning
them . the data in both the sheets in the same workbook is of the same
format (text) and all leading and trailing spaces have been removed,
still i cant get it to work for me.
can someone help me out?

Rodrigo Ferreira

problem with vlookup

Did your workbook is ordered?

--

Rodrigo Ferreira

"ruchie" escreveu na mensagem
ups.com...
I am matching two sheets of data to each other through vlookup, and
even though i know that there are matches, vlookup isnt returning
them . the data in both the sheets in the same workbook is of the same
format (text) and all leading and trailing spaces have been removed,
still i cant get it to work for me.
can someone help me out?

ruchie

problem with vlookup

the formula im using is

=VLOOKUP($E2, 'in AP'!$A$2:$M$206, 5, FALSE)

'in AP' is the name of the worksheet im getting the table array from.
the field im searching on contains numbers and text both, but i
changed everything to text format as well.
the data is sorted too. any idea why it isnt working even when im sure
that the formula is right?

Peo Sjoblom

problem with vlookup

No need to sort anything when you look for an exact match, it simply is that
although they look the same they are not the same. I am assuming you get the
#N/A error. How do you know you don't have invisible characters like html
char(160) etc?

Peo Sjoblom

"ruchie" wrote in message
oups.com...
the formula im using is

=VLOOKUP($E2, 'in AP'!$A$2:$M$206, 5, FALSE)

'in AP' is the name of the worksheet im getting the table array from.
the field im searching on contains numbers and text both, but i
changed everything to text format as well.
the data is sorted too. any idea why it isnt working even when im sure
that the formula is right?

Rodrigo Ferreira

problem with vlookup

Try this:

=INDEX('in AP'!$A$2:$M$206,MATCH($E2,'in AP'$A$2:$A$206;0),5)

--

Rodrigo Ferreira

"ruchie" escreveu na mensagem
oups.com...
the formula im using is

=VLOOKUP($E2, 'in AP'!$A$2:$M$206, 5, FALSE)

'in AP' is the name of the worksheet im getting the table array from.
the field im searching on contains numbers and text both, but i
changed everything to text format as well.
the data is sorted too. any idea why it isnt working even when im sure
that the formula is right?

pshepard

problem with vlookup

Hi Ruchie,

Try:

1) the following formula to compare two visually matching values:

=EXACT(E2,'in AP'!A121)

This is using A121 as an example of the cell address in the 'in
AP' worksheet
where the visual match is for E2.

2) Post examples of data that matches visually, and isn't found
using vlookup or
exact.

Let me know if this helps.

Peggy

"ruchie" wrote:

the formula im using is

=VLOOKUP($E2, 'in AP'!$A$2:$M$206, 5, FALSE)

'in AP' is the name of the worksheet im getting the table array from.
the field im searching on contains numbers and text both, but i
changed everything to text format as well.
the data is sorted too. any idea why it isnt working even when im sure
that the formula is right?

ruchie

problem with vlookup

worked fine.. thanks a lot!