-   -   split text into separate cells (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/141838-split-text-into-separate-cells.html)

jtaiariol

split text into separate cells

I have a list of book titles that came over all in one cell. I would like to
separate them into individual cells, one title per cell. They are separated
into lines using the "alt-enter" command to advance by one line when entering
text in a cell. If I can find a way for excel to recognize the "alt-enter" in
the text then i think i can do it with the find command. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

John T

Toppers

split text into separate cells

try:

CHAR(10) for "alt_enter"

"jtaiariol" wrote:

I have a list of book titles that came over all in one cell. I would like to
separate them into individual cells, one title per cell. They are separated
into lines using the "alt-enter" command to advance by one line when entering
text in a cell. If I can find a way for excel to recognize the "alt-enter" in
the text then i think i can do it with the find command. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

John T

Sebation.G

split text into separate cells

On 5月7日, 下午10时57分, jtaiariol
wrote:
I have a list of book titles that came over all in one cell. I would like to
separate them into individual cells, one title per cell. They are separated
into lines using the "alt-enter" command to advance by one line when entering
text in a cell. If I can find a way for excel to recognize the "alt-enter" in
the text then i think i can do it with the find command. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

John T

try DataSplit

Regards,

Sebation.G

PCLIVE

split text into separate cells

One way:

You could first use some code to replace the Alt+Enter characters with
commas.

Sub test()
Range("A1").Value = WorksheetFunction.Substitute(Range("A1").Value, Chr(10),
",")
End Sub

Then use Text to Columns from the Data menu.

HTH,
Paul

"jtaiariol" wrote in message
I have a list of book titles that came over all in one cell. I would like
separate them into individual cells, one title per cell. They are
separated
into lines using the "alt-enter" command to advance by one line when
entering
text in a cell. If I can find a way for excel to recognize the "alt-enter"
in
the text then i think i can do it with the find command. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

John T

Gary''s Student

split text into separate cells

You can use Text to Columns:
Pull-down:
Data Text to Columns..
check Delimited
clear all checkboxs except Other
click in the Other entry box and while holding down the ALT key type
010
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200719

"jtaiariol" wrote:

I have a list of book titles that came over all in one cell. I would like to
separate them into individual cells, one title per cell. They are separated
into lines using the "alt-enter" command to advance by one line when entering
text in a cell. If I can find a way for excel to recognize the "alt-enter" in
the text then i think i can do it with the find command. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

John T

PCLIVE

split text into separate cells

Very nice! I learn something new all the time.

"jtaiariol" wrote:

I have a list of book titles that came over all in one cell. I would like
separate them into individual cells, one title per cell. They are
separated
into lines using the "alt-enter" command to advance by one line when
entering
text in a cell. If I can find a way for excel to recognize the
"alt-enter" in
the text then i think i can do it with the find command. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

John T

Dave Peterson

split text into separate cells

And instead of using alt-0010, you could use ctrl-j

(even easier to describe and do!)

"jtaiariol" wrote:

I have a list of book titles that came over all in one cell. I would like
separate them into individual cells, one title per cell. They are
separated
into lines using the "alt-enter" command to advance by one line when
entering
text in a cell. If I can find a way for excel to recognize the
"alt-enter" in
the text then i think i can do it with the find command. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

John T

--

Dave Peterson

Gord Dibben

split text into separate cells

DataText to columnsLimited by other hit CTRL + j and finish.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP