Old July 14th 08, 11:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How Do I put items,(names)inside DV dropdown?

Sassy
Select the cell in which you want the DV.
Click on Data - Data Validation.
In the "Allow" area, select "List".
In the "Source" area type your data, for instance "a,b,c,d,e,f" without the
quotes. Your list would then be the letters a thru f.
If your list is more extensive and you don't want to type it all out, enter
your list items in sequential cells somewhere in your file. Name that list
something, say MyList. You name a list by selecting all the cells in the
list, click on Insert - Name - Define and type in MyList. Then in the
"Source" area of your DV setup type "=MyList" without the quotes. Click OK.
Done. HTH Otto
"Sassy" wrote in message
I'm starting over from scratch....

So How do I get my info inside the DV drop down list? If anyone knows
please give me step by step instructions.

"Brainless_in_Boston" wrote:

Peo - you clearly know much more than me. Where is the "Office" button? I
certainly don't see it in my Excel icons...

MD
Boston, MA USA

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

Office button Excel Options, make sure "Show Developer Tab" is
selected.
Click the Developer tab Controls Insert Combobox from the active x
controls,
right click the drop down and select properties, in that pane that
opens.
Put the range with your list in the
listfillrange and the cell you want to link to. Click the design mode
button
to get out
of design mode

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com
(Remove ^^ from email)

"skittles_golf" wrote in message
How do you create a combo box in Excel 2007
--
Jenny

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

You can't using datavalidation, you can if you use a combobox from
the
control toolbox

Peo Sjoblom

"skittles_golf" wrote in message
I have created several Drop Down boxes in a worksheet but I want to
make
them
visible so people know there is a drop down box there. Right now
the
arrow
doesn't show until you click on that cell. Please help I am not
quite
sure
how to format it so the drop down arrow stays.
--
Jenny

Old July 15th 08, 01:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I thought you had already created DV dropdowns but didn't like them because the
arrows don't show up.

Peo was directing you to use a combo-box which would have visible arrows.

What do you exactly want now?

Don't ask me where the Office Button is..........I don't use 2007

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Old August 5th 08, 04:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How can I make a drop down box visible within a worksheet?

I have created the combo box with the instructions below. I am trying to
link the choice to populate in a cell in another worksheet in the same file
but am having trouble making that happen. Any help would be appreciated.

Thansk,

Old August 17th 08, 04:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Kat Kat is offline

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

You can't using datavalidation, you can if you use a combobox from the
control toolbox

Peo Sjoblom

"skittles_golf" wrote in message
I have created several Drop Down boxes in a worksheet but I want to make
them
visible so people know there is a drop down box there. Right now the
arrow
doesn't show until you click on that cell. Please help I am not quite
sure
how to format it so the drop down arrow stays.
--
Jenny

I am having the same problem Jenny had. When I get to the listfillrange, I
don't know what to put there, and everything I've tried doesn't work. HELP!
How can I get the arrows to stay?
Thanks!
Kat
Old August 18th 08, 04:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I was able to make the box appear using this information, but the formulas in
the others worksheets that were linked to the cell containing the data
weren't able to reference the cell once it was done this way and not through
'Data validation'.

If there is a solution that anyone is aware of (or if I just missed
something), comments are appreciated.

Thanks,

Old August 25th 08, 11:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Jenny,

Did you manage to create the drop down box that is visible? If yes, can you
give me a step by step idiot guide 'cos I have been struggling the past week
without success.

tq vm,
angela

Old August 25th 08, 11:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sounds like you have a Validation List and need a Control Combobox.
It will have a visible arrow always.
Do this:
1). Right Click on the top toolbar to Ensure Control ToolBox is ticked
2). 9th Icon on the toolbar is a Combobox
3). Click it and drag it in place over a cell you want it to be shown on.
Ensure 1st Icon has a Square around it(Desging Mode)
4). Double click the Combobox on the sheet to view the code
It should say:

Private Sub ComboBox1_Change()

End Sub

Click the Small drop arrow on the Right side, next to the CHANGE in the box,
and select DropButton_Click
Should then look like this:

Private Sub ComboBox1_DropButtonClick()

End Sub

5). Enter the Code to populate the cells data you want to load in it
eg.
Private Sub ComboBox1_DropButtonClick()
ComboBox1.Clear
ComboBox1.AddItem Sheet1.Range("A1")
ComboBox1.AddItem Sheet1.Range("A2")
ComboBox1.AddItem Sheet1.Range("A3")
ComboBox1.AddItem Sheet1.Range("A4")
ComboBox1.AddItem Sheet1.Range("A5")
End Sub

6). Uncheck the Design Icon(1st icon on Control Toolbar again)removing the
square.

Click the Combobox to see if the values show in the box.

Corey....

Old August 25th 08, 08:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You cannot make the arrows visible on DV list dropdowns.

Either change to a ComboBox or just color the cell background.

You could insert a small triangle from the Drawing Toolbar in one side of
the cell as an alternative.

Set it to move and size with cell.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Old September 6th 08, 08:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I've followed the instructions (Thank so much Corey!) and created a Control
Combo box in a sample worksheet using the exact example given (i.e., Cells
A1:A5 have numbers 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 in them.) However, when I select any
of those values within the dropdowwn, it doesn't show anything and the cell
remains blank where the value I selected should be. Can someone please tell
me "specifically" what steps I need so that when I select an item, say "10"
from the control combo box drop down, the selected item s(10) shows in the
worksheet.
Thanks!
--
PTexas