-   -   Find and Go to Value (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/14019-find-go-value.html)

Sarah Ward

Find and Go to Value

Hi there

I'm running a macro that someone at my work wrote who's now left, and I'm
struggling with one line of it. I know what it does - it identifies the first
instance of a value (ZXYZXY) occurring, and goes to it. But I can't actually
understand the line of code, and I need to.

It goes: WHILE(FORMULA.FIND("ZXYZXY",1,1,1,1,FALSE))
If someone could tell me what each 1 is in place for, and the FALSE etc.
that would be great.

Cheers, Sarah.

Sarah Ward

Hi again. Someone else answered my question very fully on another site, so
I'll post their answer here, so that anyone else with the same question will
have an answer.

The syntax for FORMULA.FIND is as follows:
FORMULA.FIND(text,in_line,at_num,by_num,dir_num,ma tch_case)
whe
text is the text you are searching for
in_line is what you are looking for the text in (1=formula;2=value;3=notes)
at_num is full word or not (ie 1=whole string;2=whole or part string)
by_num is how the program searches for it (1=row;2=column)
dir_num is what order the program searches for it(1=next occurrence;2=prev)
match_case is whether or not it is case-sensitivie(TRUE=yes;FALSE=no)

Cheers, hope this helps, Sarah.