-   -   auto fill text (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/137534-auto-fill-text.html)

cac1966

auto fill text

I want to be able to have excell look for a company's name and autfill it on
the Purchase order. I have typed the companies names and addresses on the
bottom of the worksheet. I have the Purchase Order at the top of the
worksheet. I lined up the company name and the blank on the same row "C" but
when I type the first few letters it doesnt auto fill for me. So I want to
try to do something different so that I dont have to type the complete
company name and address each time.

Gord Dibben

auto fill text

This is generally done through a VLOOKUP formula.

You have a lookup table in two columns.

Column one with a unique identifier and column two with the company name.

Type in the identifier number and the company name appears in the cell with the
formula.

For more on this see Debra Dalglesih's site on VLOOKUP.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlFunctions02.html

And perhaps a DV DropDown list to choose the identifier.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP