-   -   How do I edit a cell in Excel without clicking on the cell first? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/137457-how-do-i-edit-cell-excel-without-clicking-cell-first.html)

Alisa

How do I edit a cell in Excel without clicking on the cell first?

I cannot find the shortcut keys

L. Howard Kittle

How do I edit a cell in Excel without clicking on the cell first?

F2?

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"Alisa" wrote in message
I cannot find the shortcut keys

Alisa

How do I edit a cell in Excel without clicking on the cell fir

Thanks Howard. You're a gem

"L. Howard Kittle" wrote:

F2?

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"Alisa" wrote in message
I cannot find the shortcut keys

Susan

How do I edit a cell in Excel without clicking on the cell first?

to use F2 you'd have to select the cell, first.
AFAIK there'd be only 2 ways to do this - either a formula that would
put updated info into the correct cell without selecting it, or by
macro.
hth
susan

On Apr 1, 7:07 pm, "L. Howard Kittle" wrote:
F2?

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"Alisa" wrote in message

I cannot find the shortcut keys- Hide quoted text -

Harlan Grove[_2_]

How do I edit a cell in Excel without clicking on the cell first?

"Susan" wrote...
AFAIK there'd be only 2 ways to do this - either a formula that
would put updated info into the correct cell without selecting
it, or by macro.

Formulas can't affect other cells' contents, only the values of
formulas in other cells that refer to the cell containing the formula
in question.

Macros are the only direct way to change the contents of cells that
aren't in the selected range.

As for indirect ways, it's a matter of semantics, but you could use
defined names to change the way formulas calculate without selecting
the cells containing those formulas.

Susan

How do I edit a cell in Excel without clicking on the cell first?

As for indirect ways, it's a matter of semantics, but you could use
defined names to change the way formulas calculate without selecting
the cells containing those formulas.

yes, that's what i meant, but didn't say correctly or completely. :)
susan

"Susan" wrote...