-   -   Extract numbers from strings (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/13695-extract-numbers-strings.html)

Stan Altshuller

Extract numbers from strings

Hi All!

How do I extract a number from a string? Example:
cell D64 has a string "Q30 no lockup" in my case, the first char is always
a letter and the next two chars form a number I need to extract.
When I try
=N(right(left(D64,3),2)) it returns 0 I need 30. I need ultimately to find
the average of these numbers in the strings running across.
Help?

THANKS!
Stan

Bob Phillips

Hi Stan,

One way

=--RIGHT(D4,2)

--

HTH

RP

"Stan Altshuller" wrote in message
Hi All!

How do I extract a number from a string? Example:
cell D64 has a string "Q30 no lockup" in my case, the first char is

always
a letter and the next two chars form a number I need to extract.
When I try
=N(right(left(D64,3),2)) it returns 0 I need 30. I need ultimately to

find
the average of these numbers in the strings running across.
Help?

THANKS!
Stan

Stan Altshuller

it works!
how would one know that? I can not find help on this -- function. amazing
:) anyway THANKS for replying so quickly.

Stan

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
Hi Stan,

One way

=--RIGHT(D4,2)

--

[...]

It's the RIGHT that does the work, the -- just ensures it is a number. You
can get the same result with

=VALUE(RIGHT(D4,2))

--

[...]

Dana DeLouis

=N(right(left(D64,3),2))

Instead of using Right & Left, using Mid might be an option:

The following would return 30 from "Q30 no lockup"

=VALUE(MID(A1,2,2))
or:
=--(MID(A1,2,2))

HTH
--
Dana DeLouis
Win XP & Office 2003

"Stan Altshuller" wrote in message
Hi All!

How do I extract a number from a string? Example:
cell D64 has a string "Q30 no lockup" in my case, the first char is
always
a letter and the next two chars form a number I need to extract.
When I try
=N(right(left(D64,3),2)) it returns 0 I need 30. I need ultimately to
find
the average of these numbers in the strings running across.
Help?

THANKS!
Stan

Myrna Larson

The function that is intended for this sort of thing (i.e. you know where the
text begins (2nd char) and how long it is (2 chars) is MID.

=--MID(D4,2,2)