-   -   Calculating number of letters in a string ... (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/13621-calculating-number-letters-string.html)

Larry Wallis

Calculating number of letters in a string ...

Looking for a way to calculate the number of characters in a text string. I
can use the LEN function.

e.g. If A1 contains "News Group", the number of characters is 9. Using the
LEN(A1) formula would give me 10 (includes the space).

How can I use this formula to omit the space?

Thanks.

Larry.

Ragdyer

Try this:

=LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",""))
--
HTH,

RD

"Larry Wallis" wrote in message
Looking for a way to calculate the number of characters in a text string.

can use the LEN function.

e.g. If A1 contains "News Group", the number of characters is 9. Using the
LEN(A1) formula would give me 10 (includes the space).

How can I use this formula to omit the space?

Thanks.

Larry.

Geovas

suppose the Word "News Group" is in cell A1 use the following formula in B1:
=LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",""))

This will first substitute all spaces in the string with nothing and then
return the length of the new string giving you the desired length....:)

Hope this Helps

Ο "Larry Wallis" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
Looking for a way to calculate the number of characters in a text string.

can use the LEN function.

e.g. If A1 contains "News Group", the number of characters is 9. Using the
LEN(A1) formula would give me 10 (includes the space).

How can I use this formula to omit the space?

Thanks.

Larry.

Larry Wallis

Thanx RD.

Larry.

"Ragdyer" wrote in message
Try this:

=LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",""))
--
HTH,

RD

-

-

"Larry Wallis" wrote in message
Looking for a way to calculate the number of characters in a text

string.
can use the LEN function.

e.g. If A1 contains "News Group", the number of characters is 9. Using

the
LEN(A1) formula would give me 10 (includes the space).

How can I use this formula to omit the space?

Thanks.

Larry.

Larry Wallis

And thanx to u too Geovas.