-   -   Conditional formatting strangeness (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/134842-conditional-formatting-strangeness.html)

Allenx

Conditional formatting strangeness

I'm trying to understand why conditional formatting formulas adjust
their address references differently then formuals in cells.

Example....
Assume the contents of G30 = 5

The following three conditional format equations

=SUM(G$35:G35)=G$30
=SUM(G$35:G35)=G30
=SUM(G$35:G35)=5

Adjust differently when a new row 32 is inserted. When
I insert this row....

EXCEL automatically changes the first two equation to

=SUM(G$1:G35)=G$30 and
=SUM(G$1:G35)=G30

While the third equation adjusts to what I want, (and see when
the same formula is used in a normal cell).

=SUM(G$36:G36)=G$30

Can anyone explain why EXCEL is doing this?