Extracting information from table

Hi
I have a table as follows
blue green yellow
4 jane heidi natalie
3 bruce sharon fred
2 sally paul Ken
1 brendon kevin graham

(excuse the layout but you'll get the idea). I want to put a formula in
another worksheet than includes blue and 2 (being the column and row headers)
and get 'Salley" returned being the contents of the cell at the intersection
of the named column and row.

Can someone point me in the right direction - I've tried DGet and Index but
they don't work as I need them to (unless I'm missing something"

Thanks

IanB

Toppers

Extracting information from table

This is exactly what INDEX does:

=INDEX(B2:D5,match(2,$A$2:$A$5,0),"Blue",$B$1:$D$1 ,0))

Assuming your table including headers is in A1:D5

HTH

"Ianb" wrote:

Hi
I have a table as follows
blue green yellow
4 jane heidi natalie
3 bruce sharon fred
2 sally paul Ken
1 brendon kevin graham

(excuse the layout but you'll get the idea). I want to put a formula in
another worksheet than includes blue and 2 (being the column and row headers)
and get 'Salley" returned being the contents of the cell at the intersection
of the named column and row.

Can someone point me in the right direction - I've tried DGet and Index but
they don't work as I need them to (unless I'm missing something"

Thanks

IanB

T. Valko

Extracting information from table

With you table in the range A1:D5

B1:D1 = column headers
A2:A5 = row headers

A10 = lookup value = blue
A11 = lookup values = 2

=VLOOKUP(A11,A1:D5,MATCH(A10,A1:D1,0),0)

result = sally

Biff