-   -   Validation query (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/133575-validation-query.html)

katet

Validation query

Is it possible to have a validation drop down list which includes a blank
entry that you can enter something different in - for example, I have a list
of Journalist names for people to choose from in my list but occasionally
there might be a random extra person that needs to be entered seperately...?

Ron Coderre

Validation query

When setting up the Data Validation....

Set the Error Alert, on tab 3, to "Warning".
(Warnings allow the non-list item to be accepted)

Then enter a message telling the user that the new item is not on the list.

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"katet" wrote:

Is it possible to have a validation drop down list which includes a blank
entry that you can enter something different in - for example, I have a list
of Journalist names for people to choose from in my list but occasionally
there might be a random extra person that needs to be entered seperately...?

katet

Validation query

Excellent - exactly what I wanted! thanks.