-   -   Excel File says locked by My User ID - Can't Save (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/132086-excel-file-says-locked-my-user-id-cant-save.html)

kristen0316

Excel File says locked by My User ID - Can't Save

I left an Excel document open and unactive last night. I made some changes
this morning and when I went to save the file it told me that the file was
locked by my user id. I rebooted my computer but it is still giving me this
error - telling me I have to rename my file and save that way. How can I
unlock?

Gord Dibben

Excel File says locked by My User ID - Can't Save

Excel stores a *.tmp copy of any file that is open.

Sometimes this *.tmp file is not deleted from the Temp folder when you close
out Excel(maybe a crash of Excel?) or the file, so Excel thinks it is still
open and in use.

You don't say that you had a crash but I would still try a couple of steps
before re-naming the file, which would not be that difficult by the way.

You can try a re-boot and see if that clears it up. If not, after a re-boot,
clear out your Windows\Temp folder.

If using WinXP your Temp folder would be under user.......

Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp

If on a network, re-booting the server may be the only solution other than
copying the data to a new workbook.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP