-   -   Conditional data validation (using a filtered range?) (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/13206-conditional-data-validation-using-filtered-range.html)

Simon

Conditional data validation (using a filtered range?)

I have a multi-column list of data that I would like to use for conditional
list validation in another place. Something like:

# Name Type
1 Apple Fruit
2 Banana Fruit
3 Dog Animal
4 Rose Flower
5 Orange Fruit
6 Cat Animal
7 Horse Animal

Example: in another place I would like to set up a List type validation that
does the equivalent of "valid values for this cell are those where the Type
cell in the Lookup range equal 'Animal'". I would also like the drop down
list to be available.

This is basically so I don't have to define lots of different ranges
(Animals, Fruit, etc.) for validation, and the full list is not necessarily
in Type order.

Any ideas if I can put a formula in Data-Validation to achieve this?