-   -   Firstname Lastname Field, Split two cells (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/131896-firstname-lastname-field-split-two-cells.html)

Anthony Smith

Firstname Lastname Field, Split two cells

Good Morning Everyone,

We have an Excel file where the contact name is in ONE FIELD. We want to
seperate the FirstName and LastName and put them in TWO FIELDS. Can anyone
tell me how to do this?

Right now this is how the database is:

FieldNames
Contact
Anthony Smith

This is what I'd like to acheive:
FieldNames
FirstName LastName
Anthony Smith

Thanks!

Sincerely,
Anthony Smith
In God We Trust!

Max

Firstname Lastname Field, Split two cells

One way ..
Select the range of contact names
Click Data Text to Columns (delimited)
Click Next, check Space Finish
--
Max
Singapore
"Anthony Smith" wrote in message
Good Morning Everyone,

We have an Excel file where the contact name is in ONE FIELD. We want to
seperate the FirstName and LastName and put them in TWO FIELDS. Can
anyone tell me how to do this?

Right now this is how the database is:

FieldNames
Contact
Anthony Smith

This is what I'd like to acheive:
FieldNames
FirstName LastName
Anthony Smith

Thanks!

Sincerely,
Anthony Smith
In God We Trust!

Gary''s Student

Firstname Lastname Field, Split two cells

Use the Text to Columns feature with a space as the separator.
--
Gary's Student
gsnu200707

"Anthony Smith" wrote:

Good Morning Everyone,

We have an Excel file where the contact name is in ONE FIELD. We want to
seperate the FirstName and LastName and put them in TWO FIELDS. Can anyone
tell me how to do this?

Right now this is how the database is:

FieldNames
Contact
Anthony Smith

This is what I'd like to acheive:
FieldNames
FirstName LastName
Anthony Smith

Thanks!

Sincerely,
Anthony Smith
In God We Trust!

Ron Coderre

Firstname Lastname Field, Split two cells

Parsing names can be complicated.....but, if all of the values are in the
form: Firstname (space) Lastname

Try something like this:
Select the list of names

Then, from the Excel main menu:
<data<text-to-columns
Check: Delimited.......click [next]
Check: Space.......click [finish]

So
A2: Anthony Smith

will become
A2: Anthony
B2: Smith

Is that something you can work with?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Anthony Smith" wrote:

Good Morning Everyone,

We have an Excel file where the contact name is in ONE FIELD. We want to
seperate the FirstName and LastName and put them in TWO FIELDS. Can anyone
tell me how to do this?

Right now this is how the database is:

FieldNames
Contact
Anthony Smith

This is what I'd like to acheive:
FieldNames
FirstName LastName
Anthony Smith

Thanks!

Sincerely,
Anthony Smith
In God We Trust!

David Biddulph

Firstname Lastname Field, Split two cells

Another way is
=LEFT(A3,FIND(" ",A3)-1) for the first name,
and =RIGHT(A3,LEN(A3)-FIND(" ",A3)) for the last name.
--
David Biddulph

"Max" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you, thank you, thank you. that Data Text to Columns and space
worked perfectly!

Thank you all for the responses. Have a blessed weekend!
"Max" wrote in message
[...]

You're welcome ..