-   -   Subtracting Times (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/131316-subtracting-times.html)

[email protected]

Subtracting Times

I am attempting to add my project hours in MS Excel. Column A is
start time (ex. 11:00am with "time" format), column B is stop time
(ex. 2pm with "time" format). I want column C to take the difference
between columns A and B and put it into Column C. For the given
example, column C should be 3. It tried the following solutions:
1. = B2-A2+IF(A2B2,1)
2. = B2-A2

Additionally, when press "Enter" to compute the formula, #VALUE!
appears in box. How can get the difference to come out correctly?

Thanks,

Steve

Toppers

Subtracting Times

Try:

=MOD(B2-A2,1)

HTH

" wrote:

I am attempting to add my project hours in MS Excel. Column A is
start time (ex. 11:00am with "time" format), column B is stop time
(ex. 2pm with "time" format). I want column C to take the difference
between columns A and B and put it into Column C. For the given
example, column C should be 3. It tried the following solutions:
1. = B2-A2+IF(A2B2,1)
2. = B2-A2

Additionally, when press "Enter" to compute the formula, #VALUE!
appears in box. How can get the difference to come out correctly?

Thanks,

Steve

Pete_UK

Subtracting Times

Check that A2 and B2 really do contain time data, rather than text
strings that just happen to look like time format - your example for
B2 (2pm) doesn't look like it is correct. It might also help to change
the time format to the 24-hour clock.

Hope this helps.

Pete