-   -   Matching a name to a specified monetary amount (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/130909-re-matching-name-specified-monetary-amount.html)

Dave F

Matching a name to a specified monetary amount

Sounds like you need VLOOKUP.

Here's an example of a VLOOKUP function in use: =VLOOKUP(7369,A1:B28,2,FALSE)

This tells Excel to match the value 7369 with its corresponding record in
the table contained in A1:B28, scan two columns to the right (i.e., Column B)
and return the value in column B whose row corresponds to the value 7369 in
the referenced table. And the FALSE argument tells Excel to look for an
exact match.

So, you need to set up a table with the employee's name and their rate.
Then enter an employee's name in a VLOOKUP and have Excel return the hourly
rate.

Post back if you have questions.

Dave

"Sarah S" wrote:

I need to find the formula that can match a specified monetary value to a name.
For instance if I type in A1 Name1 then in B1 $14.00 comes in or if I would
have typed in Name2 then $18.00 would pop in. I need this calculation to
automatically pop in someone's hourly pay by what name I put in. I think I
have to come up eith a simply pay chart to reference but I don't know where
to start.