-   -   Wildcard for Conditional Sum Wizard statement. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/130513-wildcard-conditional-sum-wizard-statement.html)

Ron

Wildcard for Conditional Sum Wizard statement.

In a simple SUMIF function this
=SUMIF(A2:A5,"CAD-EC-*",B2:B5)
works fine for summing the two CAD-EC entries below ($9,000).

A B
CAD-EC-001 $4,000
CAD-GC-001 $1,000
CAD-PC-001 $1,000
CAD-EC-002 $5,000

But when I use the Conditional Sum Wizard,
=SUM(IF(A2:A5="CAD-EC-*",B2:B5,0))
This €œCAD-EC-*€ doesnt work. Or does it, and I dont know how to use
it. The reason I need to use the conditional sum wizard is that I actually
have other conditions, I'm just trying to keep it simple to find the correct
wildcard usage.

vezerid

Wildcard for Conditional Sum Wizard statement.

No, you are right, it does not work this way, because you are
attempting equality. Try this:

=SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("CAD-EC-",A2:A5)),B2:B5,0))

This is an *array* formula, thus you need to commit it with Ctrl+Shift
+Enter. A non-array version is with SUMPRODUCT:

=SUMPRODUCT(B2:B5*ISNUMBER(SEARCH("CAD-EC-",A2:A5)))

HTH
Kostis Vezerides

On Feb 13, 5:07 pm, ron wrote:
In a simple SUMIF function this
=SUMIF(A2:A5,"CAD-EC-*",B2:B5)
works fine for summing the two CAD-EC entries below ($9,000).

A B
CAD-EC-001 $4,000
CAD-GC-001 $1,000
CAD-PC-001 $1,000
CAD-EC-002 $5,000

But when I use the Conditional Sum Wizard,
=SUM(IF(A2:A5="CAD-EC-*",B2:B5,0))
This "CAD-EC-*" doesn't work. Or does it, and I don't know how to use
it. The reason I need to use the conditional sum wizard is that I actually
have other conditions, I'm just trying to keep it simple to find the correct
wildcard usage.

JE McGimpsey

Wildcard for Conditional Sum Wizard statement.

Wildcards only work with SUMIF and COUNTIF, not IF().

You can use other techniques, for instance:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(A2:A5,7)="CAD-EC-"))

which you can generalize to add conditions.

In article ,
ron wrote:

In a simple SUMIF function this
=SUMIF(A2:A5,"CAD-EC-*",B2:B5)
works fine for summing the two CAD-EC entries below ($9,000).

A B
CAD-EC-001 $4,000
CAD-GC-001 $1,000
CAD-PC-001 $1,000
CAD-EC-002 $5,000

But when I use the Conditional Sum Wizard,
=SUM(IF(A2:A5="CAD-EC-*",B2:B5,0))
This €œCAD-EC-*€ doesnt work. Or does it, and I dont know how to use
it. The reason I need to use the conditional sum wizard is that I actually
have other conditions, I'm just trying to keep it simple to find the correct
wildcard usage.

Ron

Wildcard for Conditional Sum Wizard statement.

That's what I needed. Thanks.