-   -   Unary operators (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/13030-unary-operators.html)

Joe

Unary operators

I've noticed several posts which use the unary operators "--" before
implementing some function. Why is this done?

Here's an example:

=--(COUNTIF(A1,"CA*")0)

TIA,
--
Joe

VBA Automation/VB/C++/Web and DB development

JE McGimpsey

Check out

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/doubleneg.html

In article ,
Joe wrote:

I've noticed several posts which use the unary operators "--" before
implementing some function. Why is this done?

Here's an example:

=--(COUNTIF(A1,"CA*")0)

Duke Carey

Great explanation! It helped me go from completely clueless to .. having
SOME understanding

Joe wrote:

I've noticed several posts which use the unary operators "--" before
implementing some function. Why is this done?

Here's an example:

=--(COUNTIF(A1,"CA*")0)

Fredrik Wahlgren

Agreed! I didn't understand this either.

/Fredrik