-   -   Comparison Operators for IF statement. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/13028-comparison-operators-if-statement.html)

Shams

Comparison Operators for IF statement.

Folks,
I am trying to see if I can use a wildcard character type to search for a
textstring within an IF Statement. I know that I can do a filter to return
the rows of a column that meets certain criteria (including "contains",
"begins with", etc.):

If(A1 = "CA*", a1+1,0)

or
Sumif(A1:A10,"CA*", c1:e1)

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Shams.

JE McGimpsey

Not sure what you're trying to do here.

If A1 starts with "CA", and is therefore text, why are you adding 1
(which will cause a #VALUE! error)???

Depending on what you're really trying to do, you might be able to use
something like:

=--(COUNTIF(A1,"CA*")0)

to return 1 or 0.

The SUMIF() should work fine if you make the criterion and sum ranges
the same size:

=SUMIF(A1:A10,"CA*",C1:C10)