-   -   Cubed square root (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/130260-cubed-square-root.html)

Damon Longworth

Cubed square root

I know the SQRT function, but how would I create an Excel function for an
equation similar to:

______
_ 3 / 2
\ / 25

--

Damon Longworth

2007 East Coast Excel / Access User Conference
April 18-20, 2007 - Providing Microsoft Excel training and Microsoft Excel
Classes
Atlantic City, New Jersey
www.ExcelUserConference.com/ECEUC.html

Harlan Grove

Cubed square root

"Damon Longworth" wrote...
I know the SQRT function, but how would I create an Excel function
for an equation similar to:

______
_ 3 / 2
\ / 25

So this can't wait until the Excel &c User Conference?

Perhaps =25^(2/3) ?

IOW, who needs a function?

Martin Fishlock

Cubed square root

Hi Damon,

You can you the power (^) to get squares (x^2) and for roots use ^(1/root)
in brackets as the association would only do the power to 1:

=(25^2)^(1/3)

ie
=8^(1/3)=2
=8^1/3= 8/3=2.66667
--
Hope this helps
Martin Fishlock, Bangkok, Thailand

"Damon Longworth" wrote:

I know the SQRT function, but how would I create an Excel function for an
equation similar to:

______
_ 3 / 2
\ / 25

--

Damon Longworth

2007 East Coast Excel / Access User Conference
April 18-20, 2007 - Providing Microsoft Excel training and Microsoft Excel
Classes
Atlantic City, New Jersey
www.ExcelUserConference.com/ECEUC.html

Damon Longworth

Cubed square root

No, it could not wait. ;-)

Thanks Harland. I could not find a built in function, but thought there
might be one buried in there somewhere.

--

Damon Longworth

2007 East Coast Excel / Access User Conference
April 18-20, 2007 - Providing Microsoft Excel training and Microsoft Excel
Classes
Atlantic City, New Jersey
www.ExcelUserConference.com/ECEUC.html

"Harlan Grove" wrote in message
ups.com...
"Damon Longworth" wrote...
I know the SQRT function, but how would I create an Excel function
for an equation similar to:

______
_ 3 / 2
\ / 25

So this can't wait until the Excel &c User Conference?

Perhaps =25^(2/3) ?

IOW, who needs a function?

Bernard Liengme

Cubed square root

Hi Damon,
And then there is oft forgotten POWER function
=POWER(A1,2/3)
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Damon Longworth" wrote in message
I know the SQRT function, but how would I create an Excel function for an
equation similar to:

______
_ 3 / 2
\ / 25

--

Damon Longworth

2007 East Coast Excel / Access User Conference
April 18-20, 2007 - Providing Microsoft Excel training and Microsoft
Excel
Classes
Atlantic City, New Jersey
www.ExcelUserConference.com/ECEUC.html

Chip Pearson

Cubed square root

Do you mean

=A1^1.5
or
=SQRT(A1)^3

E.g,. if A1 is 25, the result is 125, which SQRT(25)^3 = 5^3 = 125

which is the same as

=SQRT(A1^3)

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

(email address is on the web site)
"Damon Longworth" wrote in message
I know the SQRT function, but how would I create an Excel function for an
equation similar to:

______
_ 3 / 2
\ / 25

--

Damon Longworth

2007 East Coast Excel / Access User Conference
April 18-20, 2007 - Providing Microsoft Excel training and Microsoft
Excel
Classes
Atlantic City, New Jersey
www.ExcelUserConference.com/ECEUC.html

Harlan Grove

Cubed square root

"Bernard Liengme" wrote...
And then there is oft forgotten POWER function

And forgotten & unused is what it should continue to be, along with
CONCATENATE. Pointless functions that duplicate available operators (^
and &, respectively), make formulas longer and slower, and
unnecessarily eat a function call level. There's not even the
convenience of LN and LOG10 vs LOG.

Bernard Liengme

Cubed square root

Agreed, but Damon mention "function"
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Harlan Grove" wrote in message
oups.com...
"Bernard Liengme" wrote...
And then there is oft forgotten POWER function

And forgotten & unused is what it should continue to be, along with
CONCATENATE. Pointless functions that duplicate available operators (^
and &, respectively), make formulas longer and slower, and
unnecessarily eat a function call level. There's not even the
convenience of LN and LOG10 vs LOG.

Harlan Grove

Cubed square root

"Bernard Liengme" wrote...
Agreed, but Damon mention "function"

In which case it's beneficial to point out that functions aren't
always ideal. There are situations (like this) in which they're
objectively inferior to operators.