-   -   Lock cell reference in formula, even when moved with click & drag (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/128914-lock-cell-reference-formula-even-when-moved-click-drag.html)

Beads

Lock cell reference in formula, even when moved with click & drag

I am trying to lock a cell reference in one sheet, so when data in another
page is moved the reference remains. I have tried the $ lock, but it still
moves.

formula :

=If(Sheet2:A5="JAN","",Sheet2:A5)

it is the first A5 which I do not want to be moved not matter what happens
to the cell.

This information will be held in Sheet one. So if I click and drag
information in Sheet 2 to a different cell, I want the formula to remain
readinf A5

Help please

Ron Coderre

Lock cell reference in formula, even when moved with click & drag

Offhand, I can think of 2 options....

This one is volatile
=IF(INDIRECT("Sheet2:A5")="JAN","",Sheet2:A5)

This one is not
=IF(INDEX(Sheet2!$1:$65536,5,1)="JAN","",Sheet2:A5 )

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Beads" wrote:

I am trying to lock a cell reference in one sheet, so when data in another
page is moved the reference remains. I have tried the $ lock, but it still
moves.

formula :

=If(Sheet2:A5="JAN","",Sheet2:A5)

it is the first A5 which I do not want to be moved not matter what happens
to the cell.

This information will be held in Sheet one. So if I click and drag
information in Sheet 2 to a different cell, I want the formula to remain
readinf A5

Help please

Beads

Lock cell reference in formula, even when moved with click & drag

Tried both and neither work.

On a control page[sheet 1] I want the formula to always read 'A5' in sheet
2. While in sheet 2 if I move the word Jan in A5 by drag and drop, I do not
want the control sheet to move the cell reference 'A5' to move with it. As
mentioned I have tried the $ lock, but it still moves.

Beads

"Beads" wrote:

I am trying to lock a cell reference in one sheet, so when data in another
page is moved the reference remains. I have tried the $ lock, but it still
moves.

formula :

=If(Sheet2:A5="JAN","",Sheet2:A5)

it is the first A5 which I do not want to be moved not matter what happens
to the cell.

This information will be held in Sheet one. So if I click and drag
information in Sheet 2 to a different cell, I want the formula to remain
readinf A5

Help please

Ron Coderre

Lock cell reference in formula, even when moved with click & d

Well, the first formula problem is my fault for trusting the formula you
posted without checking it for errors.

It should be this:
=IF(INDIRECT("Sheet2!A5")="JAN","",Sheet2!A5)

....The sheet/cell separator is an exclamation mark (!), not a colon (:)

It's not possible for the left part of that formula to reference anything
other than Sheet2!A5

And this one: =INDEX(Sheet2!$1:$65536,5,1)
behaves properly, too. It always refers to Sheet2!A5, even if I move it,
delete it, paste over it, insert/delete rows, or insert/delete columns.

Note: It will, however, break if you delete ALL rows or ALL columns

What are you doing that breaks the formulas?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Beads" wrote:

I am trying to lock a cell reference in one sheet, so when data in another
page is moved the reference remains. I have tried the $ lock, but it still
moves.

formula :

=If(Sheet2:A5="JAN","",Sheet2:A5)

it is the first A5 which I do not want to be moved not matter what happens
to the cell.

This information will be held in Sheet one. So if I click and drag
information in Sheet 2 to a different cell, I want the formula to remain
readinf A5

Help please

Beads

Lock cell reference in formula, even when moved with click & d

Thanks for your time.

When I put this in .. =IF(INDIRECT('Jon Wickett'!C20)="JAN","",'Jon
Wickett'!C20)

I get #Ref! in the first sheet. Then when I drag and drop the cell in
sheet to both ther 'c20' change to #Ref!.

Is it me?

Tried the other too, and cant get it to working either. It must be me!

Barb

"Beads" wrote:

I am trying to lock a cell reference in one sheet, so when data in another
page is moved the reference remains. I have tried the $ lock, but it still
moves.

formula :

=If(Sheet2:A5="JAN","",Sheet2:A5)

it is the first A5 which I do not want to be moved not matter what happens
to the cell.

This information will be held in Sheet one. So if I click and drag
information in Sheet 2 to a different cell, I want the formula to remain
readinf A5

Help please

Roger Govier

Lock cell reference in formula, even when moved with click & d

Hi

Ron put double quotes around the expression inside the parentheses.
Try
=IF(INDIRECT("'Jon Wickett'!C20")="JAN","",'Jon Wickett'!C20)

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Well, the first formula problem is my fault for trusting the formula
you
posted without checking it for errors.

It should be this:
=IF(INDIRECT("Sheet2!A5")="JAN","",Sheet2!A5)

...The sheet/cell separator is an exclamation mark (!), not a colon
(:)

"Beads" wrote:

I am trying to lock a cell reference in one sheet, so when data
in another
page is moved the reference remains. I have tried the $ lock, but
it still
moves.

formula :

=If(Sheet2:A5="JAN","",Sheet2:A5)

it is the first A5 which I do not want to be moved not matter
what happens
to the cell.

This information will be held in Sheet one. So if I click and
drag
information in Sheet 2 to a different cell, I want the formula to
remain
readinf A5

Help please

Ron Coderre

Lock cell reference in formula, even when moved with click & d

Another example of why it's so important to post the actual formula (whenever
possible), so we know exactly what we're dealing with.

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Beads" wrote:

I am trying to lock a cell reference in one sheet, so when data
in another
page is moved the reference remains. I have tried the $ lock, but
it still
moves.

formula :

=If(Sheet2:A5="JAN","",Sheet2:A5)

it is the first A5 which I do not want to be moved not matter
what happens
to the cell.

This information will be held in Sheet one. So if I click and
drag
information in Sheet 2 to a different cell, I want the formula to
remain
readinf A5

Help please

Beads

Lock cell reference in formula, even when moved with click & d

The formula is exactly as you sent me, so I o not understand the double
paranthasis issue, It has them,

Sorry if I do not understand, but this is why I was hopping for help. I hae
not used these boards before, and did not appreciate I should include the
formula. I know now though.

Regards

Barbara

"Beads" wrote:

I am trying to lock a cell reference in one sheet, so when data
in another
page is moved the reference remains. I have tried the $ lock, but
it still
moves.

formula :

=If(Sheet2:A5="JAN","",Sheet2:A5)

it is the first A5 which I do not want to be moved not matter
what happens
to the cell.

This information will be held in Sheet one. So if I click and
drag
information in Sheet 2 to a different cell, I want the formula to
remain
readinf A5

Help please

Ron Coderre

Lock cell reference in formula, even when moved with click & d

Regarding:
Sorry if I do not understand, but this is why I was hopping for help. I hae

not used these boards before, and did not appreciate I should include the
formula. I know now though.<<

Don't worry about it, Barbara....It takes a little while to learn what
information needs to be included when posting a question.

***************************
Regarding the formula.....here's a little clarification:
When a sheet tab name has a space in it, the name must be enclosed within
single quotes:

='sheet with a space'!A1

The INDIRECT function converts text that looks like a reference into and
actual reference. When you type the text directly in that function, it must
be enclosed within doublt-quotes:

=INDIRECT("'sheetname with spaces'!A1")

Here's a better view of that formula:
=INDIRECT(" ' sheetname with spaces ' !A1 ")

Note: The extra spaces make in non-functional, but easier to see the double
and single quotes

Looking forward to seeing many more posts by you!

Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP