-   -   Assistance with Alphabetizing a Library Worksheet (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/126649-assistance-alphabetizing-library-worksheet.html)

bandre

Assistance with Alphabetizing a Library Worksheet

Goal: To have the option of an alphabetical list of books by titles or an
alphabetical list of books by authors.
Problem: Column A lists the book titles. Column B lists the authors. These
must obviously stay together. When column A is alphabetized, how do I get
column B to follow column A and visa versa? (column C is Checked-Out, column
d is Checked-In, column E is church member name) Therefore, the ultimate
goal is to be able to change the worksheet to glance and see who has a book
out (by bringing all the checked-out to the top, or any alpahbetized list
needed.

Microsoft Excel 2000

Duke Carey

Assistance with Alphabetizing a Library Worksheet

Just be sure to select the entire range of values before sorting. That means
columns A through E

"bandre" wrote:

Goal: To have the option of an alphabetical list of books by titles or an
alphabetical list of books by authors.
Problem: Column A lists the book titles. Column B lists the authors. These
must obviously stay together. When column A is alphabetized, how do I get
column B to follow column A and visa versa? (column C is Checked-Out, column
d is Checked-In, column E is church member name) Therefore, the ultimate
goal is to be able to change the worksheet to glance and see who has a book
out (by bringing all the checked-out to the top, or any alpahbetized list
needed.

Microsoft Excel 2000

Gord Dibben

Assistance with Alphabetizing a Library Worksheet

bandre

You can sort on any column you wish.

IMPORTANT.........just make sure you have selected all columns before sorting.

Do not let Excel guess what your range is.

Having said that, I will now say that DataFilterAutofilter would be a better
tool to use in your case.

You can then filter for just the Book or Author or Checked in or Checked out or
Member Name.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP