-   -   Can you link index keys between sheets for purchase/sales purpsose (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/126175-can-you-link-index-keys-between-sheets-purchase-sales-purpsose.html)

SmalleyP

Can you link index keys between sheets for purchase/sales purpsose

I am looking to create a stock control work sheet so that when a sale is
made, the profit can be calculated from the purchase price.

Obviously I need to have a control key between the spreadsheets, but I do
not know how. One way I know would be to use Access, but in this instance I
can not.

Can this be done on Excel, and if so, how?

Thanks

Rupert

Can you link index keys between sheets for purchase/sales purpsose

Sounds like a database masquerading as a spreadsheet.

But you can lookup values in a different workbook using
INDEX(PurchasePriceColumn,MATCH(OrderNumber,OrderN umberColumn,0))

Where PurchasePriceColumn OrderNumberColumn are in your orders workbook
And OrderNumber is taken from the sales ticket / invoice you are
interested in.

OrderNumber would be your control key here.
If you don't have an obvious key, a quick and dirty way to create one
is just to concatenate existing fields into a new column, until you
know you have something unique...

Rupert