-   -   Summing all cells containing the letter K (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/125993-summing-all-cells-containing-letter-k.html)

Jan T.

Summing all cells containing the letter K

Hi.
I want to count all cells in a range that contains the letter K.

RON BLAIR KASPER HULK FRONT KIM

The example here would return 3 because 3 cells are containing a name that
has K in it.
I think I should put functions like SUMPRODUCT AND ISNUMBER AND MATCH,
but how do I put theese together?

Thanks in advance.

Mvh
Jan

Bob Phillips

Summing all cells containing the letter K

=COUNTIF(A:A,"*K*")

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Jan T." wrote in message
Hi.
I want to count all cells in a range that contains the letter K.

RON BLAIR KASPER HULK FRONT KIM

The example here would return 3 because 3 cells are containing a name that
has K in it.
I think I should put functions like SUMPRODUCT AND ISNUMBER AND MATCH,
but how do I put theese together?

Thanks in advance.

Mvh
Jan

Jan T.

Summing all cells containing the letter K

That simple, eh?
Thanks a lot. That did the trick.

Jan

"Bob Phillips" skrev i melding
=COUNTIF(A:A,"*K*")

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Jan T." wrote in message
Hi.
I want to count all cells in a range that contains the letter K.

RON BLAIR KASPER HULK FRONT KIM

The example here would return 3 because 3 cells are containing a name
that
has K in it.
I think I should put functions like SUMPRODUCT AND ISNUMBER AND MATCH,
but how do I put theese together?

Thanks in advance.

Mvh
Jan

Teethless mama

Summing all cells containing the letter K

=SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH("K",A1:F1)))

"Jan T." wrote:

Hi.
I want to count all cells in a range that contains the letter K.

RON BLAIR KASPER HULK FRONT KIM

The example here would return 3 because 3 cells are containing a name that
has K in it.
I think I should put functions like SUMPRODUCT AND ISNUMBER AND MATCH,
but how do I put theese together?

Thanks in advance.

Mvh
Jan

Jan T.

Summing all cells containing the letter K

Thank you very much for helping.
But can you tell me, what does the two minus before (--ISNUMBER... do?

Jan

"Teethless mama" skrev i melding

"Jan T." wrote:

Hi.
I want to count all cells in a range that contains the letter K.

RON BLAIR KASPER HULK FRONT KIM

The example here would return 3 because 3 cells are containing a name
that
has K in it.
I think I should put functions like SUMPRODUCT AND ISNUMBER AND MATCH,
but how do I put theese together?

Thanks in advance.

Mvh
Jan

David Biddulph

Summing all cells containing the letter K

The "double unary minus" converts a logical (TRUE or FALSE) value to a
number (1 or 0).
--
David Biddulph

"Jan T." wrote in message
Thank you very much for helping.
But can you tell me, what does the two minus before (--ISNUMBER... do?

Jan

"Teethless mama" skrev i melding
=SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH("K",A1:F1)))

Jan T.

Summing all cells containing the letter K

Aha, very interesting. I certainly did not know that.
Thank you so much for the answer. Have a nice day ;)

Regards
Jan

"David Biddulph" skrev i melding

"Jan T." wrote in message
Thank you very much for helping.
But can you tell me, what does the two minus before (--ISNUMBER... do?

Jan

"Teethless mama" skrev i
melding ...
=SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH("K",A1:F1)))

Brent

Summing all cells containing the letter K

I use the following formula: =COUNTIF(D5:P5,"x")

In this case, I am counting the number of "x" between D5 and P5. You can
change the "x" to "K" if you want and identify the range you want to count,
up and down a column or as I have done in a row.

Brent