Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Statistical Information

I need some assistance with some statisical reporting functions of excel. I
know there are simple ways to do this, but I'm pulling a blank.

Problem:
I have a worksheet full of survey results from our classroom evaluations.
For most of the questions, all I need is the average of the answers. But, for
the demographic information, I need the totals broken down.

For example,
The first question is "Male/Female."
I need a broken down summary of how many manys and how many females per
class so that my sammary page would look like:

Class 1
Males: 9
Females: 14
GPA 2.0 or lower: 6

etc....

Other than the countif function(so I can avoid going through all 500+
classes, is there an easier way to have excel calucate this information
automatically?

thank you in advance.

chelsie
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Well, it's hard to give you a precise answer because you don't describe how
your data are laid out, but the SUMPRODUCT function could help you, assuming
your data are in a table.

You could also have some luck with a pivot table, again assuming your data
are laid out in a table.

Assuming your data are laid out in a table, then tell us the column
headings, from left to right, and someone can come back and give you an
appropriate SUMPRODUCT formula to summarize the data.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Chelsie" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Depending on how the information is stored, a pivot table (menu Data-Pivot
table and Pivot chart Report) can be the solution for this case. If you have
never worked with Pivot tables, you may take a look a the Excel help before
starting the wizard, there is a topic called "About PivotTable reports"

Hope this helps,
Miguel.

"Chelsie" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Chelsie,

Use a Pivot Table. That is the easiest way to slice and dice your data.
Look in help, and/or visit

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm

for a start...

HTH,