ExcelBanter

-   -   Color Cells Summing (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/124171-color-cells-summing.html)

HANYANA December 30th 06 06:07 PM

Color Cells Summing

Hi there,
i have been trying to get the Color Index summing formula to work but i am
unsuccessful, i went onto this site
http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld....r.html#summing but have
gotten no where for some reason the formula will not work and i am left
scratching my head again. If anyone can help i would really appreciate it as
i have come to a complete standstill with my roster.
Thanks
Hanyana

ShaneDevenshire December 30th 06 06:38 PM

Color Cells Summing

Hard to say what's wrong since you haven't provided much detail. First what
exactly are you trying to do (ignoring the websit)?

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

Max December 30th 06 10:28 PM

Color Cells Summing

Try this working sample from my archives**:
http://www.savefile.com/files/377039
CountCellsByFillColor_Using_BobPhillips_ColorIndex _UDF.xls
(Full details & beautifully rendered ..)

**link in sign-off below
--
Max
Singapore

Bob Phillips December 31st 06 12:45 PM

Color Cells Summing

Indeed it is beautifully rendered Max. If you intend to use this again, may
I suggest that you also show how you can dynamically pick up the test
colour, that is by using

=SUMPRODUCT(--(ColorIndex($B$2:$B$11)=ColorIndex(E2)))

as I think this is a useful but not obvious feature (I know it could be
derived from what you do, but ...).

And also summing the values in the coloured range

=SUMPRODUCT(--(ColorIndex($B$2:$B$11)=ColorIndex(E2)),$B$2:$B$11 )

Hanyana,

Post back if Max's workbook doesn't solve the problem for you. I have found
that most problems are caused by people thinking that the function is a
built-in, not one that you have to copy and input to the workbook. Of
course, that may not be your problem, but give us as much detail as you can
if and when posting back.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

Max December 31st 06 02:35 PM

Color Cells Summing

For those interested ..

Here's the revised sample, re-rendered incorporating Bob's suggestions <g:
http://www.savefile.com/files/378485
Count n Sum Cells By FillColor_BobPhillips_ColorIndex_UDF.xls

Note that UDFs need to be implemented in the very *same* book that the
function is intended to be used. UDFs cannot work across books.

Bob: Trust the revised sample is ok with you. Let me know.

Here's wishing a wonderful 2007 to all !!

Dave Peterson December 31st 06 02:55 PM

Color Cells Summing

Just a comment about UDF's not working across workbooks.

If your UDF is in a workbook named Book1.xls, you can refer to a function in
that workbook's project:

=book1.xls!ColorIndex(...)

If your UDF is in an addin, then you can refer to it just like it was built into
excel.

ShaneDevenshire December 31st 06 07:21 PM

Color Cells Summing

Speaking of 2007... In Excel 2007 you can count by color, sum by color,
filter by color, sort by color and more.

--
Looking ahead,
Shane Devenshire

Max December 31st 06 11:42 PM

Color Cells Summing

Thanks, Shane. I just moved from xl97 to xl2003 in May 06. Thought that was
a quantum leap. Maybe I'll get to use xl2007 in 2015 thereabouts, going by
the same rate? <bg
--
Max
Singapore