-   -   Very Basic Problem - Merged Cell Equals Contents of a Single Cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/124095-very-basic-problem-merged-cell-equals-contents-single-cell.html)

jollynicechap

Very Basic Problem - Merged Cell Equals Contents of a Single Cell

When I make the contents of a merged cell i.e. E1:J1 equal to a single cell
(A1) on the same sheet or from sheet to sheet the merged cells display =A1
and not the content. What am I doing wrong?

T. Valko

Very Basic Problem - Merged Cell Equals Contents of a Single Cell

Hi!

Sounds like the merged cells are formatted as TEXT.

Select the merged cells.
Goto FormatCellsNumber tabselect GENERALOK
While the the merged cell is still selected, press function key F2 then hit
ENTER.

Biff

"jollynicechap" wrote in message
When I make the contents of a merged cell i.e. E1:J1 equal to a single
cell
(A1) on the same sheet or from sheet to sheet the merged cells display =A1
and not the content. What am I doing wrong?

Dave Peterson

Very Basic Problem - Merged Cell Equals Contents of a Single Cell

Could be a couple of things...

#1. Format the cell (E1:J1) as General and then reenter that formula.

#2. Tools|Options|View tab|Uncheck Formulas

#3. You have a leading space in your formula???

I'd bet it was #1.

And you may want a formula like:

=if(a1="","",a1)

Then when A1 is empty, you won't see a 0 in that "receiving" cell.

--

Dave Peterson

jollynicechap

Very Basic Problem - Merged Cell Equals Contents of a Single C

Thanks guys. I new it was a dumb asred question. Merged cells were set to
Text. Changed as instructed and now works fine