Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Can IF be used to sum?

I have a table that was a dbf in a GIS. I have one column that is the name
of a soil type and another column is the area that the soil occupies. The
problem is, I have a bunch of rows for each soil type. I want to figure out
the sum total of the area that each soil type occupies without having to
manually sum each group. Some of the soil types have upwards of 20 rows that
need to be added together and others are only 1 row. So, is there a way that
an IF statement (or something else) can add up those areas that have the same
"soil type"? Or am I expecting too much? Any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks.