-   -   How do I convert a text array to a concatenated text cell? Excel. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/123289-how-do-i-convert-text-array-concatenated-text-cell-excel.html)

Vargasjc

How do I convert a text array to a concatenated text cell? Excel.

I'm trying to concatenate different cell values into one single cell in a
dynamic table. Usually one could use =concatenate(), or do something like
=A1&" ,"&A2 and so on. What I want to try to do is concatenate an array of
values into a single cell. For example, =concatenate(B1:B5), but in this case
the result is an array equivalent to {=B1:B5}, which I find most disturbing.
Is there any way to do this I need to do?

Gary''s Student

How do I convert a text array to a concatenated text cell? Excel.

If you don't mind VBA, then:

Function multicat(r As Range) As String
multicat = ""
For Each rr In r
multicat = multicat & rr.Value
Next
End Function
--
Gary's Student

"Vargasjc" wrote:

I'm trying to concatenate different cell values into one single cell in a
dynamic table. Usually one could use =concatenate(), or do something like
=A1&" ,"&A2 and so on. What I want to try to do is concatenate an array of
values into a single cell. For example, =concatenate(B1:B5), but in this case
the result is an array equivalent to {=B1:B5}, which I find most disturbing.
Is there any way to do this I need to do?

Vargasjc

How do I convert a text array to a concatenated text cell? Exc

At this point I guess I'm gonna bear it. Although I'd like to make that a
user defined fucntion, UDF. How the heck do I do that?

"Vargasjc" wrote:

I'm trying to concatenate different cell values into one single cell in a
dynamic table. Usually one could use =concatenate(), or do something like
=A1&" ,"&A2 and so on. What I want to try to do is concatenate an array of
values into a single cell. For example, =concatenate(B1:B5), but in this case
the result is an array equivalent to {=B1:B5}, which I find most disturbing.
Is there any way to do this I need to do?

Gary''s Student

How do I convert a text array to a concatenated text cell? Exc

If not familiar with VBA and macros, see David McRitchie's site for more on
"getting started".

It is my opinion that anyone clever enough to use Excel can work with VBA.

No one has proved me wrong.
--
Gary''s Student

"Vargasjc" wrote:

I'm trying to concatenate different cell values into one single cell in a
dynamic table. Usually one could use =concatenate(), or do something like
=A1&" ,"&A2 and so on. What I want to try to do is concatenate an array of
values into a single cell. For example, =concatenate(B1:B5), but in this case
the result is an array equivalent to {=B1:B5}, which I find most disturbing.
Is there any way to do this I need to do?

Dave F

How do I convert a text array to a concatenated text cell? Exc

That's an interesting theory. And likely correct.
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Vargasjc" wrote:

I'm trying to concatenate different cell values into one single cell in a
dynamic table. Usually one could use =concatenate(), or do something like
=A1&" ,"&A2 and so on. What I want to try to do is concatenate an array of
values into a single cell. For example, =concatenate(B1:B5), but in this case
the result is an array equivalent to {=B1:B5}, which I find most disturbing.
Is there any way to do this I need to do?

Vargasjc

How do I convert a text array to a concatenated text cell? Exc

Ok, I got the function working. Now I do something like =concat(B1:B10) and
it puts it all together. That's great. Thx.

Now I need also to do that with conditions, for example

=concat(IF(Alfa!E1137=Tables,Locations,0))

In which I'm conditionating the concatenation depending on a Cell value.
This works niceley as long as both Alfa and Locations have the same number of
rows. This is so because of the way seems to handle arrays. I haven't found a
solution to handle arrays by reference. Particularly using ifs. For example,
my problems would end if I could do something like:

=concat({IF(Alfa!E1137=Tables,Locations,0)})

Any help?