-   -   Rounding (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/122033-rounding.html)

EC

Rounding

How would I round (41,568.00) to (42,000.00)?

John Bundy

Rounding

=CEILING(A1,1000)

-John

"EC" wrote:

How would I round (41,568.00) to (42,000.00)?

EC

Rounding

John,

Can the cell contain a formula? In other words, the cell has a formula in
it that produces -41568.00. I tried your formula and I get the following
error message:

#NUM!

I tried using just the value, and received the same error!

Your help is really appreciated!

Cheers.
Eric

"John Bundy" wrote:

=CEILING(A1,1000)

-John

"EC" wrote:

How would I round (41,568.00) to (42,000.00)?

Martin Fishlock

Rounding

The ceiling only works when both the number and the significance are the same
sign so you need to adjust the formula that John gave you as follows:

=CEILING($A$5,SIGN(A5)*1000)

Another way to do it is using the round function:

=ROUND($A$5/1000,0)*1000

--
Hope this helps
Martin Fishlock

"EC" wrote:

John,

Can the cell contain a formula? In other words, the cell has a formula in
it that produces -41568.00. I tried your formula and I get the following
error message:

#NUM!

I tried using just the value, and received the same error!

Your help is really appreciated!

Cheers.
Eric

"John Bundy" wrote:

=CEILING(A1,1000)

-John

"EC" wrote:

How would I round (41,568.00) to (42,000.00)?

daddylonglegs

Rounding

If just rounding to the nearest thousand then the simple answer is

=ROUND(A1,3)

You can incorporate this in your existing formula if you wish by using

=ROUND(your_formula,3)

"EC" wrote:

John,

Can the cell contain a formula? In other words, the cell has a formula in
it that produces -41568.00. I tried your formula and I get the following
error message:

#NUM!

I tried using just the value, and received the same error!

Your help is really appreciated!

Cheers.
Eric

"John Bundy" wrote:

=CEILING(A1,1000)

-John

"EC" wrote:

How would I round (41,568.00) to (42,000.00)?

daddylonglegs

Rounding

Sorry, of course that should be

=ROUND(A1,-3)

"EC" wrote:

John,

Can the cell contain a formula? In other words, the cell has a formula in
it that produces -41568.00. I tried your formula and I get the following
error message:

#NUM!

I tried using just the value, and received the same error!

Your help is really appreciated!

Cheers.
Eric

"John Bundy" wrote:

=CEILING(A1,1000)

-John

"EC" wrote:

How would I round (41,568.00) to (42,000.00)?

Martin Fishlock

Rounding

It's amazing how I've never noticed that before.

Thanks for pointing it out.
--
Hope this helps
Martin Fishlock

"EC" wrote:

John,

Can the cell contain a formula? In other words, the cell has a formula in
it that produces -41568.00. I tried your formula and I get the following
error message:

#NUM!

I tried using just the value, and received the same error!

Your help is really appreciated!

Cheers.
Eric

"John Bundy" wrote: